I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC build
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 07, 2017 08:48PM

I am looking at North Fork Composites St 904-2 (HM) 9' 0" blank to build a steelhead drift fishing rod. I have built two rods on XST blanks, one is 8'6" and the other is 9'. I fish them both but usually prefer the shorter one as I think it's better balanced and more sensitive. So here is the question. Do you think it would make sense to shorthen the 9' NFC blank a bit for this build? Make it like 8'9" maybe?

I plan on using the lightweight minima guides to make the rod as light as possible with a single foot minima guide for the the tiptop as well if that helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC build
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: April 07, 2017 09:34PM

The XST blanks are multi-modulus designs and a bit heavier than your NFC. I wouldn't cut it, for one thing it would forever store with a longer tip section and therefore be prone to more damage during transport and storage. Lefty Kreh shorten the tip of his fly rods a half to 1 inch, so the durable lower section would protect the tip during transport.
Minimas also come in titanium and aren't to bad in price. Using a guide for a tip top is fine, but they are more prone to damage.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 01:39AM

you could match the blank against your rod and see where the tapers come closest then tape on the same amount of guides you 8'6" has and do a load test and see if they are close in deflection that would help you achieve the balance you want .

but using a rod make on 1 blank and a different make of blank might not produce the end result you want.

lots of futzing around some times it is worth the time and sometimes it is just a bust. as the tapers have to drastic changes from bottom to top

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 09:03AM

Roman,
I certainly would not cut this blank. As designed, this is really one of the very best blanks that you can buy for this purpose.

Build it and enjoy it.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-70-196-138.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2017 12:07PM

Look at the Fuji Arowana, MN or LG Tip Tops. You can get these in a Titanium frames with Alconite, SIC or Torzite rings and save some weight but still have "real" tip top.

Date: April 08, 2017 10:57PM

Well, it sounds like it will be a 9' rod! The titanium guides also seems like a good idea to me. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 10:20AM

By the way, the weight difference between the Pac Bay minima guides and the titanium guides will be tough to tell the difference just by picking up the rod.

Either choice in guides will work great.

Be safe

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2017 10:45AM

Roman Chamine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking at North Fork Composites St 904-2
> (HM) 9' 0" blank to build a steelhead drift
> fishing rod. I have built two rods on XST blanks,
> one is 8'6" and the other is 9'. I fish them both
> but usually prefer the shorter one as I think it's
> better balanced and more sensitive. So here is the
> question. Do you think it would make sense to
> shorthen the 9' NFC blank a bit for this build?
> Make it like 8'9" maybe?
>
> I plan on using the lightweight minima guides to
> make the rod as light as possible with a single
> foot minima guide for the the tiptop as well if
> that helps.

If you purchased that blank during the recent sale, you got one @#$%& of a good buy. Why not spend the savings on a good, lightweight set of guides? No buyer's remorse with any of the sic fuji's, especially the tysg's.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: April 09, 2017 11:09AM

5-6 years ago while at the Lamiglas factory for the rodbuilding show they had for a few years, i was able to pick up like sets of Pac Bay match guides with and without ceramic inserts, and SS or Ti. It wasn't hard to tell the differences in design.

Date: April 09, 2017 04:32PM

My understanding is that Fuji's SiC guides are even heavier than Alconite ones. Correct me If I am wrong, but the minimas are usually a natural choice for rods where the overall weight and weight distribution are of primary importance. Only, perhaps RECoil single foot are a bit lighter.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2017 05:27PM

Roman Chamine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that Fuji's SiC guides are
> even heavier than Alconite ones. Correct me If I
> am wrong, but the minimas are usually a natural
> choice for rods where the overall weight and
> weight distribution are of primary importance.
> Only, perhaps RECoil single foot are a bit
> lighter.

Not sure where that info came from, but as far as Y frame and L frame fuji's are concerned, titanium framed sic's are the lightest, stainless framed sic's are second lightest, and Alconites are third lightest. I can't comment on the least expensive fuji offerings as I've never weighed them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 09:42PM

Alconite is in fact lighter than SiC. The reason Sic guides are more expensive is that they are harder and dissipate heat better. However, Alconite are plenty hard enough in that they can not be cut with a hacksaw or a metal file. So they are NOT going to groove via anything that is fishing related. The stainless steel Minima guides are extremely light and are lighter than ceramic guides with stainless frames. However, titanium framed ceramic guides are also very light and in some cases, slightly lighter than stainless Minimas. The titanium Ti Black Minimas are a minima 4 guide (double swagged) and are very light, but more expensive, but still less expensive than titanium framed ceramic guides. The regular titanium Minima guides are very light and inexpensive, but are a Minima 3 guide, which are swagged differently than the minima 4s. Therfore, the hard chrome insert is not quite as secure. If you use ceramic spinning guides use the Fuji KR micro concept guides (KLH, and KB/KT guides). If you use Minima spinning guides use the Minima M guides for the reduction train and Minima F guides as runners. These minima guides are set up exactly the same as the Fuji KR guides. I am a big fan of the KR concept, using either ceramic KR guides or Minima guides. This setup performs better than any other setup I have ever used. I would also use a regular tip top rather than wrapping a guide for the tip top. Good luck with your build.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster