I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Almost bass season but time for one more build
Posted by: robert kravic (---.sub-174-232-131.myvzw.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 11:12AM

Last day to procure a blank on sale and need help picking out just one. Even at half off I can only afford one after paying for tourneys and a new reel. Couldn't sleep thinking about it last night so I leave it to the experts, yes that would be you. By the way I have my heart set on a hm. Never had one but thinking MBR 703 04 or 705

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Almost bass season but time for one more build
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 03:26PM

You left out something very important ........ what will you be using the rod for?

Date: April 07, 2017 04:22PM

Don't really have a specific technique in mind but will probably use it for skipping lighter jigs and or senkos. But not really knowing the nfc MB blanks that well I just don't know. Anyone tried the delta series yet?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 02:11AM

you have to make a decision on what would work best for you the 703 is a medium and 705 is a medium heavy

if it were me I would base my decision on what type of rods I normally use IE -medium or medium heavy and purchase that one and build it.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: April 08, 2017 10:51AM

According to the specs the MB705 hm has an 0.593 butt and either a 4 or 4.5 tip and the 704 hm has a 0.59 butt and a 4.4 tip.

Date: April 08, 2017 11:01AM

If the 705 is like the old g loomis mb 843 what is the 704 did g loomis make a mb 842?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 11:24AM

Hello Robert.

In 2007 G. Loomis had no MB842's but had 842's in others, like the L842 a GL2 Light Salt Water: 7', 1pc, 8-14#, 5.5 Tip, .496 Butt, Mod Fast With Medium Power.

Also Popping, Spin Jig, and Spin, but no MB.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 08, 2017 04:03PM

I am familiar with the gloomis p842 imx and still have a p8400 glx baitcaster I throw once in awhile. The man only mag bass blank I have ever had is a Mb844 which is way too stiff for me, Maybe that helps in my confusion.

Date: April 08, 2017 08:14PM

Ended up getting a mb704hm even though they had nothing on the spec sheet.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 08:59PM

The HM MB 704 is a nice rod, rated as a Medium but is more powerful than that. In my experience most HM blanks tend to be more powerful than their ratings suggest and they also tend to cast a wider lure range than advertised. Since they are HM they will feel stiffer, but lighter, when compared to other types of graphite blanks with similar ratings. Some people are disappointed when they get their first HM blank because of it's perceived stiffness, but find out quickly that they give outstanding performance.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 08, 2017 09:41PM

Norm, how would u compare the 704 to the 705?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 10:15PM

Depends on the type of fishing you do. I would rather have the 704, since to me it is a more of an all around bass rod, has plenty of power, and will throw a wide range of lures. If you fish a lot of structure, weeds and or pads then the 705 might be a better choice. I have not fished with the 705, but made one for a friend he likes it a lot.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 10:28AM

Robert,
If you want to build a rod on an exceptional blank, consider one of the Rogue River rod MB blanks.

You may not be familiar with the Rogue River rod blanks since they are a north western blank company - but they make some really excellent blanks that are reasonably priced.

This company is located on the banks of the Rogue River in Oregon. A really beautiful place!!

[roguerods.net]

Over the yeas, I have build rods on several of their blanks and have always been 100% satisfied with the quality and action of the blanks.

Good luck

Date: April 09, 2017 12:06PM

Appreciate the responses, does anyone have the specifications on the MB 704 or know where one can find them.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 10, 2017 04:15PM

Thanks Norm. My lakes have a ton of timber and rock in them. I currently have a couple of the 705's and honestly find them lighter in power than what I had expected but still like them regardless.

Thanks Tom

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 10, 2017 04:56PM

Hello Robert.

Jann's has a North Fork MB704-1, 7', 8-14# Line, 1/4-5/8 oz. Lure, .521 Butt, 4.5 Tip, Fast Action, Medium Power, Blank Weight at 1.66 oz.
Page - 76 in the 2017 Jann's Netcraft catalog.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 10, 2017 08:10PM

Thanks Robert, I saw the Jann's website and those are the specs for the 704 IM supposedly. they list the 704 hm as a .583 butt 4.5 tip and weighing 1.9 ounces. Which seems like a big difference for the same blank too me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster