I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: thinning epoxy ?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2017 10:44AM

Sam,
Do yourself a favor.

Take your favorite rod finish and mix up a bunch of test batches - and thin the mix with different solvents, at different ratios - and apply the finish to old scrap rod blanks.

So a set of about 50 different ratios and mixes and apply a liberal coat for each of the coats, letting the finish rotate and dry. Keep track of which mix is which and which solvent is which.

Then, after the research is done - write up a report and let us all know your personal results.

------------------------
My expectation is that if you use denatured alcohol in any quantity - the finish will become soft and spongy and rather unsuitable.

But, if a "hotter" solvent is used like Acetone or Xylene, you will be able to use a few drops per mix and have reasonable results. But, again, if large quantities of these chemicals are used - I would again expect that you would have solvent entrapment and a softer and more spongy finish.

=======================
To determine the suitability of an appropriate chemical to mix with a finish you can just mix up a batch of finish and take a bunch of throw away brushes. Take a brush - load it with finish and then do one wipe with a chemical loaded paper towel on the brush. The other thing that you can do, is to put about 10 drops of finish in a small batch of finish and stir the mix about 10 times.

A potential diluent - or thinner will quickly blend with the finish and tend to disappear.

But a poor - diluent - or thinner will just ball up and will not mix well with the finish.

Another test that you can do, is to take a small amount of solvent in a small cup. Then, put a lump of finish into the cup and give the finish a couple of swirls. If you have a poor diluant, the lump will just stay in a lump as you give the finish a couple of swirls.
But a good diluant will quickly chemically mix with the lump and the lump will essentially disappear in the small amount of solvent in the cup.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do the testing, write the report and let us know the product of your tests and research. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2017 01:16PM

I am not saying a word - Have a nice day

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 10:34AM

Bill,
Nice to hear from you on this lovely Palm Sunday. Enjoy the rest of the year and may you always have a big fish on the end of your line.

Take care

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 03:47PM

Hay Roger I always go for the big ones And of corse if they are small - I tell a fisherman's lie ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2017 10:17PM

sounds like i have some work to do. LOL

i will do some testing and post the results here. when i get a chance. it may be a bit.
between fishing tournaments in full swing, a brand new puppy, and my fishing partner recovering from a serious heart issue, ive been pretty busy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster