I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thinning epoxy ?
Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 10:38PM

i need a tutorial on thinning epoxy. what product is best to use. what ratio would you use to mix with finishing epoxy ? ( 1/1/1??)
i primarily use threadmaster , but i can see where there could be an advantage in using thinner, multiple coats . is it better to use a non thinned final coat ?
…to thin, or not to thin, that is the question….

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thinning epoxy ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2017 10:48PM

Epoxy formulators advise not to thin any epoxy. If you want thinner coats, use a stiffer brush; put on less, etc.

Flex Coat is one supplier that does advise on thinning epoxy wrap finish. Consult their website for how they do it.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 01:32AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy formulators advise not to thin any epoxy. If
> you want thinner coats, use a stiffer brush; put
> on less, etc.
>
> Flex Coat is one supplier that does advise on
> thinning epoxy wrap finish. Consult their website
> for how they do it.
>
> ..................

I my self wouldn't do it as tom stated just apply less

If you want it to wet out the thread more then you can use the light formula and apply thin multiple coats
messing with epoxy is where the problems start with applying it to a rod fish eye, footballing, soft doesn't fully cure, streaking in the wrap where it soaks in more in one part and not the other, and if you use CP the solvent/ thinner you use could mess with that as I said cause light and dark spots in the wrap.
the light build works great on untreated wraps no cp just the threads it soaks in well you just have to remember that your wraps shouldn't be over tight and the tension is consistent from start to finish then end product will be perfect.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 02:46AM

Sam,
In a word - don't thin epoxies.

Epoxies cure by a chemical process.

When solvents or thinners are added to the epoxies, many times the uncured solvents don't mix with the epoxies and don't take part in the chemical cure. As a result, the uncured solvent becomes entrapped in the cured epoxy - leaving a soft rubbery finish.

Then, if a person thinks that they are going to fix the issue by adding another coat of epoxy on top of the first coat, you are left with a hard shell on top of a soft foundation.

------------
As the good book or equivalent says - Don't build your house on sand.

In other words - a bad foundation does a bad finish make.

If you want the epoxy a bit thinner, apply the finish to the blank and use just a touch of gentle heat to the epoxy which will thin the epoxy and let if flow out very nicely. But, I said - gentle and slight heat. Over heat the epoxy and boil the epoxy and you have ruined the finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 08:01AM

I mix Threadmaster with Pro Kote, and before K I mixed it with Aftcote. I've been doing this since before TM was on the market and Andy Dear had me test it. THousands of rods have been finished this way with no problem at all, everyone that does the BIlly Mix agrees that it addresses the issues people have with all these finishes.

If I'm not mistaken, St Croix thins or used to thin Flex Coat with Acetone, thousands of rods per day. THey don't have the problems mentioned in prior post, but they also kno what they are doing and aren't going to sscrew up teh ratios. I don't recommend using a solvent, but there are a ton of rods out there that have thinned finish which have none of the issues mentioned

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2017 10:25AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 09:47AM

Have you tried the threadmaster lite? It's pretty easy to put it on super thin.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 10:08AM

Sam

As Tom K advised, only one manufacturer recommends thinning, and you've got to suspect the rest have valid reasons instructing users not to thin or do not include thinning instructions with their products. Frankly, the only reason epoxy finish ought to be thinned is when producing invisible wraps, and that can be iffy with epoxy until you hit on a combination of solvent (DNA, acetone) and brand of epoxy that will play pretty and cure, else you have one giant mess.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 10:26AM

I have thinned Threadmaster Lite many times with DNA when using white thread and going for a "threadless" look. It's a neat trick on the fluorescent tip of an ice rod. After one very light coat has cured, I recoat with a normal mix. I'm not sure what devastating effects it could cause, but I'm guessing that the manufacturers don't recommend it because they are concerned about you having a bad experience with their product. I'll do what I want on my rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 10:48AM

Date: April 06, 2017 11:12AM

[rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Re: clear thread???
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 05:06PM
Gossamer or Naples white silk. Two-part epoxy, first coat thinned, second coat uncut. Do test wraps to learn the process.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2010 07:44PM
Right. Transparent wraps are made with white silk and thinned finish (but this can and somewhat does change the properties of the finish). Threadless wraps are made without any thread. They're guide feet encapsulated in urethane.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 11:16AM

Roger,

Thanks for the links and your explanation. You're always right on target....'never pass up reading your replies. Always lots of good information!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 03:40PM

Lots of conflicting opinions here. A lot of well recognized builders thin epoxy.

Date: April 06, 2017 03:47PM

"Things move along so rapidly nowadays that people saying: “It can’t be done,” are always being interrupted by somebody doing it." —Puck 1903

Date: April 06, 2017 03:54PM

Conflicting info for a variety of reasons. Giving advice on teh internet can make you look bad, if you say it can be thinned, you don't know who is reading the post, they might put 1 drop of epoxy and 10 drops of MEK. In that case, CYA, and why most manu's don't recommend it.

Then you have science lab info that has no bearing on teh reality of what actually happens on fishing rods. Also regurgitated info with no first hand experience or knowledge of actually thinning finish or knowing people that do.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-210.myvzw.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 04:00PM

Many of the large scale manufacturers that we sell to thin the first coat of Flex Coat. They thin it mainly for speed of application, as it soaks into the thread easily with one pass.

As stated, if you desire to thin Flex Coat, we recommend acetone at a 1:15 ratio. That is, you should mix your finish normally at a 1:1 ratio and when fully mixed, add the acetone. So if you have a 15 cc mix, then add 1 cc of acetone and mix it again until crystal clear. This will not only thin the finish, it will dramatically extend the pot life, or working time, as well as the curing time, so plan on that.

We do not recommend thinning additional coats of Flex Coat, just the first.

Just our 2 cents...

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 06:34PM

just what i was looking for . a healthy discussion of do's and dont's and varying opinions. great info !!

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 07:41PM

all the raspberries aside on the subject To all those that do thin their finish and have the SKILL SET to do it successfully.
I am sure that they took the time to figure out the amounts of solvent to use.
But to post in a form and say just do it BECAUSE I do it all the time, isn't a good piece of advice because the person or persons reading that snippet of information may not have the SKILL SET of those that have been building for a long time and figured how to skin that cat without getting clawed but if the person hasn't done their do diligence like it has been stated by some long time builders it can be a disaster that is why so many times it has been stated to do a test on a piece of scrap till you achieve the results you desire.
can it be done YES will it work for everyone NO do the Manufacturers recommend it not really and if they do they recommend it as a first coat only reference to flex coat .

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2017 07:57PM

Great reads from BillyV & John Cates.

Hey, Billy...do you mind explaining why you like mixing TM & PK (or AC)?

Date: April 06, 2017 10:00PM

I get the average of both finsihes. Longer pot life than TM, shorter than PK AFt, Not as hard as TM, not as soft as the others.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2017 10:40AM

Thanks Billy. Take care, man.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster