I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Build Christened
Posted by: David Springett (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2017 06:15PM

Well I completed my first rod build over the weekend - a 7' ML spinning rod.

Out of ignorance I think I put too many running guides on it - but I CAN FIX THAT LATER IF NEEDED.

SO PLEASED WITH MY EFFORT - I'D GIVE IT A 7 OUT OF 10 I THINK.

Anyway took it to the lake across the road and picked off 4 Large Mouth Bass - one about 2 pounds.

The rod didn't break ( :) ) and behaved pretty well.

Looking forward to my next build - a M 7' spinning rod.

Great - but expensive - hobby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 06:23PM by David Springett.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Build Christened
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2017 07:21PM

Wahoo and congratulations! Casting to, hooking up, and landing 2 pound bass is by definition a good thing so enjoy the rod.

Date: April 04, 2017 07:25PM

Thank you.

I'm thrilled.

Taking it out on my bass boat tomorrow - real (reel?) work out. Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2017 08:56PM

The first step in developing the confidence to trust a rod you built is to catch a fish on it. Once that has been accomplished, you begin each subsequent build with more confidence that you can indeed build a better rod that you can buy.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2017 09:50PM

Hooah Great feeling isn't it nothing like building it and using it for the first time and hooking a fish to fight really something to be proud of that is something few people ever experience from the fruit of their labor and will last a life time as you will always remember that first strike. the rod building hobby is no more expensive than a ticket to a sporting event with all the little extras you purchase but will last a lot longer and you will enjoy it time and time again

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 07:04AM

Thats awesome! Im hoping I can get out there this weekend to do the same for my first rod. I am learning that the hobby is as expensive as you want to make it. For me, its been pretty expensive :) Should be receiving my next shipment of supplies in the next couple of days.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2017 09:06AM

Excellent David. It's awesome isn't it? And like Mathew said, the reward you get out of a fishing rod you built is one that keeps on giving.

As far as you thinking you may have too many running guides ........ unless you went hog wild and really have wayyyyyy too many, it is IMO better to have too many, than too few.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: April 05, 2017 09:51AM

Looks like you found out our little secret, a rod built by you has twice the Mojo of a store bought rod.

Date: April 05, 2017 12:20PM

Well it's a 7' rod and I have 10 guides. I think thtS 2 too many.

Thoughts?

Date: April 05, 2017 12:23PM

Well the conditions were far fro. Ideal today - the canal where I was fishing was flowing pretty fast.

Managed to find a quiet cove and boated 5 bass on the new rod (using one of my store bought ones got another 6 using different technique.

Well satisfied.

Now when does that FEDEX truck get here for the next build?

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2017 12:58PM

David,

10 guides perhaps would not be too many depending on the action/power of a 7' rod. I would recommend you read the the article in the library on "Static Loading" of a blank. It will show you where and how many guides a blank needs to perform the best.

I use elastic thread from Walmart to temporarily wrap on the number of guides and where i think they will need to be. Some guys use dental elastics for braces or whatever works for you. Then install the reel and thread the line through the guides. You are looking for a smooth parabolic line path through the guides. The elastic thread make it easy to shift the guide location and add a guide if necessary.

Congratulations on the first build. I still fish my first build, a St. Croix Senko rod, and love it!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 05, 2017 01:00PM

Thanks Don.

I'll read that at article.
I've ordered some rubber tubing from Mud Hole for the guides.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 01:15PM

Once you have your guide placement where you want them, then you could use the guide foot adhesive to ensure the foot won't move during wrapping. Just be careful if you do use the adhesive as you wont be able to shift it under the wrap after you are completed.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2017 04:09PM

David, I have 9 guides plus the tip top on on two 6'6" medium light powered, extra fast action spinning rods that I built, so I personally wouldn't think that 10 guides on a 7' rod would be too many.

If you were thinking you may have too many guides because you're comparing the rod you built to a factory rod, I'd say don't. Now I may put on more guides than other builders do, but I've tested most of the factory rods I still own with the staic load test, and every one could use at least one extra guide. And in some cases 2.

As Donald mentioned, once you get passed the reduction train and choke point on a spinning rod, using static loading to place your running guides is going to show you where the remaining running guides will need to be placed. I like the line to follow the natural bend of the blank fairly closely. If that means an extra guide or two, I'm ok with it.

If you're like me, after a while you'll start looking at the guide trains on most factory rods and wonder why the heck did they use that size guide or place them where they did, when if they would have used different sized guides placed in different locations, the rod would perform better.

I'm still pretty new to building, but one thing I've learned is the effect the guide train has on a rods performance. The guide train can make a world of difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster