I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fluke/Striper rod
Posted by: Doug Jennings (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 07:29PM

Just picked up a Sargossa 3000 and 5000. I want to build a couple 6 1/2 to 7 foot spinning rods for fluke and stripers in NJ.
I'm thinking medium to medium heavy and fast action.

I was looking for advice on what size guide set and how many. Going to be my first spinning rods and plan to give to my daughter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fluke/Striper rod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 07:56PM

ROdgeeks Extreme Composites XC 733, 7'3 can be cut down to 7 feet, and it's ideal for the fishing you are doing, as it was designed by someone who lives there and does that fishing (me)

Date: April 02, 2017 08:12PM

Thanks Billy. Any recommendations on which Fuji guides would work?

Posted by: Jim Genova (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2017 07:37PM

Cut from which end?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 04, 2017 08:36AM

I would assume butt end. Those blanks are able to hold heavy sinker weight. I don't see the need to cut the tip.

Date: April 04, 2017 09:14PM

But which guides would work best? I saw the guide spacing suggestion on the website but it does not say which guides work best

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 12:36AM

Doug,
Lot's of guides will work well. It's like asking who makes the best truck.
Titanium is the best for corrosion resistance, but you pay for it. Stainless has a great history of holding up well, just needs a freshwater washdown/rinse to hold up for years with no corrosion. No one stays in business as long as the sponsors to the left without building outstanding guides. I've used them all with great results. I have one rod that spent 2 years of it's life in Florida saltwater with little of no washdowns, riding in the steerage compartment of a Coast Guard ship when not in use, than both fresh and saltwater for the rest of it's 30 years on black Fuji guides.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 07:10AM

All of my production saltwater rods have fuji guides on them. I wash them down after each use, no corrosion whatsoever. When I finally do build my first saltwater rod, Im going to try the Atlas ring lock guides which are Titanium. They are a bit on the pricier side but look cool. I could go with the standard fuji guides, but want to try something different.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 05, 2017 07:43AM

Most of my saltwater rods (bottom, fly, surf, spin) have minima 4 guides on them. I use fuji k guides for my heavy surf rods and amtak virtus on some heavy bottom rods but the minima guides work great.

Posted by: Doug Jennings (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 09:34AM

Spencer, thank you.
I guess what I was really asking is what model guides I should use. I was planning on using Fuji Sic. If I cut the suggested blank down to 6'6" or 7'
I will need 7 guides plus tip.
Just not sure the best model guide. Ie single or double foot "y" "v" style.

Thanks guys

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 09:38AM

K-Series. What line and lure wieght range will she be fishing?

Posted by: Doug Jennings (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 10:05AM

15lb braid and 30lb braid on the reels . Lure weights any where from 1/2 oz on up to 6oz for fluke fishing depending on depth. For stripers maybe 3 oz jig heads max. But hope to put her on a nice bass this fall throwing some jigs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster