I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mini-telescopic rod
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 12:30PM

i,m thinking of taking a 6' blank and cutting off about one foot of the butt and then inserting the tip section into the butt section...how long will the rod be then...has any tried this thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mini-telescopic rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 12:44PM

Ben,
I don't know what you are trying to do. Basically the rod will be as short as the taper of the inside of the butt section, and the taper of the outside of the tip section allows.

But, if you have a finished rod with guides on it - you won't be able to insert the tip into the butt section at all, so in that case, the total length of the rod will be 3 feet - with the butt section a foot shorter than the tip section.

If you want to get a short rod, get a rod that telescopes and with guides that slide up and down the rod blank.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 02:26PM

if it is a more portable rod your after for back packing just buy a per made .
what type of fishing are you want to do with it ??
mud hole has a 2 piece 4' 6 " rod . or a travel blank at 6'6" and 3 pieces
to do what you want you would have to buy several blanks and cut them to make what you want and would cost more than it would be worth to do and calculating the cuts would be just crazy

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 05:05PM

Why make it hard on yourself, there are a bunch of 3 and 4 piece spinning travel rods from a bunch of people to the left to fit your needs, if it's a casting rod you want just build it as a casting rod and go fishing.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 05:30PM

Your wanting to do what, ..... telescopic = multiple sections drop. Verses a drop rod were only the top section drops 6 to 12 inches. I have done a few drop rods , from single glass blanks and word out the cut points and have found the rods to be interesting, unique, popular and convenient. You get some of the reliability of a single and some of the convenience of a multi-piece rod. I have found no remarkable drawbacks to them to offer from many years of use.

Date: April 02, 2017 06:17PM

thanks everyone for replying but i just thinking of making a simple spiral pistol grip spinner bait rod that has one telescopic joint so that i can swing the line from left ha nd spiral to right hand spiral and back to counteract line build up on the reel spool. i haave an old ugly stick 70" blank somewhere to play with and was just trying to get a feel for how much shorter it would get if it was overlapped...thanks for your thoughts.

Date: April 03, 2017 09:12AM

never mind...my silly nephew said, why don,t you just loop the line around the rod butt to get it tothe other side of the rod..DUH!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster