I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First time using CP question.
Posted by: Braeden wyatt (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 07:28PM

Hey all Im new to rod building and I had a question about cp. I have done a chevron wrap and I need to put cp on the threads but I dont know if I should apply it to the whole area or just the threads and avoid getting any on the blank. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time using CP question.
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 08:29PM

I my self have always coated the threads and if you have a little over run on to the blank it is OK
I would not coat the blank if at all possible

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Braeden wyatt (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 10:34PM

Ok thanks. Also do you apply when using a drying motor of just sitting still?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 10:53PM

because most CP 's recommend 2-3 coats I just do it while holding the rod in one hand up right and apply so that if there is a drip it follows the threads when done I look for drips or runs and remove them let it dry and do the other coats if called for.
the only time I do it on a rod in the dryer is if they are full wraps as you want to cover the entire wrap

hope this helps. Matthew

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 11:30PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 10:06AM

If I understand the question correctly, wondering whether the bare blank between the chevrons should be coated, I say yes. You really don't want ANY thread to miss the CP, and the blank appearance will not be affected by CP. Trying to not get it on the blank may result in missed thread area. That would make your weave mottled in appearance.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 11:44AM

put the rod on a turner coat all - NO PROBLEM

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 12:46PM

Braeden,
Or you could save your self the trouble of applying Color Preserver - if you just apply finish and forget about applying Color preserver.

You might actually the darker richer look of your colors with no color preserver on the wraps.

Take care

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 01:08PM

skipping CP only works if you KNOW the thread has no silicone additives - most embroidery threads (Maderia Polyneon) used for deco wraps NEED CP to prevent epoxy issues.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 01:34PM

Skipping it also only makes sense when you have experience with the colors and what they will be without CP. I've done it many times, and like some of the colors I get, but without experience it's a crap shoot. Also, on a weave, if metallic thread is part of the weave it will show through the other colors because even the dark colors go a little transparent.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: April 05, 2017 01:17PM

I have done several 3D chevron wraps and I just CP the entire wrap including the open areas. The CP is clear and doesn't hurt anything. It's important to make sure the
outside threads are sealed well.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: April 07, 2017 07:17AM

Ok, so I am using CP for the first time as well. I noticed that some wraps dried back to the original color without issue. Some other wraps did not. I had it drying overnight. Is it possible to put too much CP on? What would happen with a 2nd coat of CP? Do I need to re-wrap the guides that arent appearing as the original color?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2017 04:55PM

Do not know what you are doing so I can not tell MUCH -- But I would say another coat and it all should come to an even color - I put one coat on After about 15 min Another I do not let any coat dry fully - Rather a wet coat when in soaks in ad another Usually enough --- wet coats on a dryer

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster