I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spiral wrap question
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:19PM

I keep seeing videos of people that made a spiral wrap on their rods. Why do they use like 6 guides real close to each other to move the line 180?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap question
Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:43PM

no idea
I use the simple spiral - makes the most sense to me since the shortest distance between two points is a straight line
guide closest to the reel is at zero or close to it and third guide is at 180 . . the in between (2nd) guide is what-ever where-ever to keep the line off the blank

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:49PM

Jon,
I prefer the revolver wrap and use 3 or 4 guides to move the line from the top to the bottom, but I space the guides the same distance as if the guides were wrapped normally.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 05:33PM

As noted above Jon there are many ways to spiral wrap, but I've never seen, or heard one of your discription and know of no reason it would be necessary.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 01, 2017 07:23PM

The one he describes is just like one used by one of the members. Can't remember his name but he named the wrap after his last name. I believe he spaces the guides normally with bands to mount. Then mounts the tip top in casting rod position. Run a line through the guides and apply pressure. When the line is pulled down the guides will rotate to the best position. Only the last one or two guides ends up at 180 degrees.
I haven't tried it. I'm with Roger. I use the revolver style on my striped bass, fluke, sea bass rods. It's what works for me.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 09:15PM

i just completed my first spiral wrap rod. i used 4 guides to go from 0 to 180 with normal spacing in between. it worked out well
for a medium weight bass trap (rainshadow revelation crankbait ) blank rod with braid….. the guides help up well today when i hung a 40# gar on the trap ! its comforting to know something you made will hold up to extreme measures. LOL

Date: April 01, 2017 09:40PM

Jon,
One thing that I have found with a spiral wrapped rod is that for some rods and reels, the line does not stack evenly on the reel if the butt guide is set at 0 degrees with respect to the reel.

To check for this, after I have taped all of the guides in place on the rod, I will put on the reel, pull off about 100 feet of line, thread the line through the guides and then reel the line back on the reel, while keeping gentle pressure on the line.

I keep an eye on the line as it is stacked on the reel to see if the line is stacking evenly on the reel spool.

However, I will often find that the line is stacking on one side of the reel or the other - this is even with a line stacking guide on the reel.
If, I find that the line is stacking on one side or the other - I will move the first guide to a + or - angle as needed to have the line center as it is stacking on the reel.

I have found that often I use a 5 degree offset on the butt guide - typically in the direction of the spiral to let the line center correctly.

But, some rods and reels center perfectly with the 0 degree setting for the butt guide.

Good luck

Date: April 01, 2017 10:31PM

All excellent info! Thank you very much guys. Here is the video i seen he shows it at the beginning.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 10:32PM by jon edwards.

Date: April 01, 2017 11:01PM

No need for all of the guides spaced like the rod in the video.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2017 08:15AM

Right - the line will naturally go to the bottom - you don't have to take it there. What he has will work, but it's not at all necessary. However, since it's on the internet...

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 08:42AM

He has also negated any effect the mythical spine might play but it was interesting to see how someone else achieves his rod building goals. It also demonstrates nicely how the rod does not twist under a heavy load.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 09:03AM

Wow! That is a lot of wasted guides. The simple spiral works as well as anything else. Gets to the bottom quick. If you do not like the look go 0, 60, 120, 180 degrees; takes only one more guide to get to the bottom.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 12:11PM

I put the top on at the 180 glue it on Then say 7' rod place 7 - 8 guides on -- no bumper guide --AT THE 180 Then move the butt guide to 0 static test -- adjust as needed -- where the line touches the blank I THEN ADD the bumper - size of the running guides Have several guides to add or delete as needed Once you think it is good Run line tie to something and as if fishing put pressure on adjust guides as needed
I guess i can call it Bill's wrap -- LOL --- joke

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 12:12PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: April 02, 2017 02:45PM

No Bill... it's the Willie Spiral.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 03:21PM

Thanks I like that better - LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 03, 2017 12:47AM

Thanks guys! Was first time i seen so many guides for a spiral. Just making sure there wasn't a valid reason before I thought crazy, haha!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2017 05:53PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jon,
> I prefer the revolver wrap and use 3 or 4 guides
> to move the line from the top to the bottom, but I
> space the guides the same distance as if the
> guides were wrapped normally.
>
> Good luck

I do what Roger does but may adjust to keep the line off the blank. The forth guide should be on bottom at 180 degrees. It's not that difficult so don't over think it and have fun.

Date: April 06, 2017 09:51AM

Im starting my first spiral wrap as soon as i can find a size 30 tip. Is not being easy to find in a non roller/spiralable roller.

Date: April 06, 2017 10:57AM

Jon,
You can use the @#$%& rollers guides / tips that will work for a spiral wrapped rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: April 06, 2017 02:35PM

All American Guides to the left have the roller guides you need for a spiral.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster