I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with perma gloss
Posted by: Rick Bennett (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2017 09:47AM

Been a builder for over 35 years. Never used Perma Gloss. Building a white fly rod with white NCP thread and a Pearl Label decal. 2 questions: 1. what do I need to do to the decal and the Prema Gloss seems to be harsh on the test I did? 2. Do I need to do anything to the the white NCP threads?
Help an old timer please.

Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Inc
Rod-Man Custom Rods
910-520-7661

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with perma gloss
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2017 11:41AM

Capt. Rick, as you have found out...Permagloss is "hot" stuff. Ralph O'Quinn says a couple coats of Gudebrod 811 tends to work with limitations. All I can suggest is to test it out.

Here is a quote from Ralph O'Quinn from another thread..."Apply one or two coats of Gudebrod 811, let it dry thoroughly and then apply your permagloss. The gudebrod is a urethane/acrylic and is partially resistant to the permagloss solvents. I say partially because if you over do it, apply to much or to briskly you can penetrate the cured gudebrod. I don't like living so dangerously, I always apply the gudebrod directly to the decal and adjoining area, follow by LS supreme, but to those of you who live the adventureous life --good luck.
Ralph"

For the NCP you should be well & good to just go at it with the PG.

Hope things are well down the Southern Beach.

Jay Lancaster
Harkers Island

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 11:42AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:38PM

there is this option I have used this product by Roddancer ThreadMaster ONE One-Part Rod Finish it is Water based . this is their side of their rod finish products that doesn't have any harsh chemicals where as the LUMI SEAL and PERMA GLOSS have xylene and will eat the factory finish on a rod and most plastics they contact.
the THREAD MASTER works well for me.

available at mudhole.here is a direct link to the product

[www.mudhole.com]

ThreadMaster ONE One-Part Rod Finish
(0) SKU: #TMO

$6.10 to $86.40
One part premium rod finish.

Non-Yellowing UV Inhibitors
Tougher than Standard Epoxy
More Flexible
Water Cleanup

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:46PM

I'd only use the perma-gloss on the guide thread wraps
and use epoxy rod finish on the decal as explained in the article provided by the custom label system web site from link on left

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 01, 2017 05:17PM

I ordered a small bottle of that Roddancer ThreadMaster ONE, I treid it out on one test wrap and found it very vary hard to work with, Do you flood the wrap? and remove the excess? As I found it almost impossiable to apliy smoothly, It is Water based would a drop or two of water help this out. Just curius? Jay

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 06:01PM

Jay D.,
Yes, you thread soak the first application, let dry, than go for the second and sometimes third coats. The stuff is very temperature sensitive, room temperature, or better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 12:20PM

Even the white NCP I put at least one wet coat of CP - just to be sure It will be strong enough

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 02, 2017 08:13PM

Thanks guys, I give er a whirl on some more test wraps, And see how it goes. Thanks Jaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster