I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Epoxy cracking or failure
Posted by: Mike Halbert (50.34.143.---)
Date: March 29, 2017 12:29PM

I have been struggling with epoxy failure on my saltwater rods. I have been plagued with moisture getting under the epoxy and causing milkyness. I also am getting cracking around the guide feet on my heavy rods (halibut rods) which I am sure is the contributing factor to the moisture issue. I am using underwraps on the guides. I do not use color preserver. I use two coats of epoxy (Aftco currently) and very carefull about filling the guide tunnels and removing bubbles as the finished rods spin.

I use commercially built rods along with my home built rods and treat them the same. They spend a lot of time in the rocket launchers in the Alaska sun and rain. The Loomis and Shimano rods do not show any of the epoxy failures that my own rods exhibit. What are they using or doing different in their process? Are my fingers contaminating the blank and thread? Is there a better epoxy that can handle the saltwater and UV abuse?

I would love some insight into improving my craft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy cracking or failure
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 12:54PM

sounds like you not getting a complete wet out on the under wraps or the wraps might be a bit to loose
a lot of things can cause your problems

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 12:57PM

Hello Mike.

Are you using glass blanks?, do they bend deeply?, do you coat your under wraps and let them cure before the over wrap?, do you double your over wrap?, do your guides have very thick feet?, do you cover at least 1/16th" past the end of the wrap?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 01:03PM

You might give Flex Coat UV thread coating a try.

It is supposed to be more resistant to the destructive effects of the sun.

From the Flex coat web page:

"Ultra V High Build
Similar to our original high build formulation but with added UV protection for use over light colored threads. It also has an extended pot life for additional working time. Great all around epoxy thread wrap finish and perfect for heavy-duty saltwater rods."

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 01:06PM

Are you using color preserver on you guide wraps? I have seen cracking and moisture penetration of epoxy on guide wraps that have been treated with color preserver. The color preserver prevents the epoxy finish from penetrating the threads, and this can lead to cracking of the finish and allow moisture into the wrap. The guide wraps on the Loomis and Shimano rods you mention probably have not been treated with color preserver. I very rarely use CP on my guide wraps.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 01:07PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-199.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 01:14PM

Those Loomis rods have Flex Coat on them.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2017 01:39PM

The OP mentioned that he does not use CP, so the issue would like elsewhere.

There shouldn't be any contamination of the thread or blank if you'll keep your hands off of them, and keep your hands clean. No need to be running your fingers all over the thread. Do make sure you encapsulate the wrap by extending the epoxy beyond the ends of the guide wraps.

Just in case - what brand thread are you using?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-70-196-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 03:27PM

Missed the part about not using CP. Do you use No CP thread?
Norm

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 03:29PM

I would use ProKote or ThreadMaster Lite with all my builds....

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: March 29, 2017 03:43PM

Is there any chance that you are using an embroidery thread? Some are treated with a silicone type lubricant and it could repel your epoxy or at least create a barrier between the thread and the finish. I really have no idea as I do not use it, but this is just something that occurred to me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 09:50PM

what ever type of EPOXY you use if it is a name brand it should not happen, could it be that you are just over stressing the rod to many times [ lots of big fish ] we hope ,? guides weak an breaking the bond
of epoxy an guides just asking ???

William Sidney
AK

Date: March 29, 2017 09:54PM

Wow! Lots of info here. Thank you very much. A few things to add and answer.

1) I have been putting the epoxy on the completed underwrap with the guide and over wrap. I will try putting a coat on the underwrap before installing the guide.

2) Using composite blanks for halibut. Primarily graphite on lighter rods. Have not been coating the under wraps or using double overwraps. Using relatively light guides (Fuji BNGV mainly). Generally an 1/8" over the wraps on each end. Sometimes more if I am sloppy!

3) Thanks for the flex coat UV tip. I have been using Threadmaster high build and just purchases some Aftco UV resistant.

4) I do not use Color Preserver.

5) Been using brands sold by Anglers Workshop for the last 30 years. They have since been sold. Used to use Guberod. I just use straight thread, NO CP thread.

6) Could oils be transfering from my hands to the blank and thread and causing sealing issues. I try to keep them clean and sweat free. Should I try wiping down with epoxy solvent before applying epoxy?

7) Have not tried Pro Kote. No embroidery thread.

Thank you for the wealth of information. Sounds like putting a coat of epoxy on the underwrap would be a good place to start. Not sure how to keep my hands off things - I am always picking at wraps with my fingernail and my hands end up all over the place with lighter blanks as I get to the tip.

Any other thoughts are welcome!

Mike

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 10:34PM

I might look at your guide choice. I'm not a fan of Fuji, and I can't find a reference to BNVG guides on their website, but if you are fishing halibut in Alaska for decent halibut you may want to make sure your guides are rated for the gear you are using. Your problem might just be the guides moving around under load. If you want to keep the guides light anyway, take a look at the Alps line up. Different frames for different line test.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 11:30PM

Mike,
Wash your hands with soap and water at least once an hour.

Be safe

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: March 30, 2017 06:43AM

I had that problem years ago when I first started. I found that I didn't apply the epoxy far enough past the end of the wrap on both ends. All it takes is a pin hole size opening to expose the threads to moisture and the wraps become milky. As far as the cracking of the epoxy. I found that to be because of over exposure to sun and not wrapping the guides high enough on the feet (mainly surf rods with single foot guides). My $0.02. Good luck.

Date: March 30, 2017 11:32AM

The Fuji guide is BNLG. Sorry. The guides hold up fine and have large enough feet to remain secure in the wraps - the smallest I use on the halibut rods is a size 10. Obviously the halibut rods get bent but not to the point that seems like it is a noodle.

I use the rods on my charter boats in Southeast Alaska and they remain in the rocket launchers all summer exposed to sun (rarely) and lots of rain which provides the only cleaning due to no water at our dock. The commercially built rods get the same treatment and the wraps hold up much better overall and the guide quality is generally lesser than what I use.

As I stated earlier I am confident my epoxy is going well past the end wraps.

I will definetely try a coat of epoxy on the underwrap first. I assumed the epoxy would soak through the overwrap and then through the underwrap. Lazy!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 30, 2017 12:16PM

Water will go everywhere there isn't something else there first.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-215.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2017 01:19PM

There are techniques to getting the finish to soak into the underwraps such as heating the freshly applied finish with a torch or heat gun. This makes the finish momentarily thinner and will soak in with capillary action easier. Just don't scorch the thread, rod, or finish.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2017 01:43PM

I think you are on to something with the underwraps not being coated first. Coat them and extend the epoxy a little past the thread onto the blank. Make sure the underwrap is hardened before applying the top thread. Let us know next year if this worked for you. Good thread.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 09:42AM

How are you measuring, mixing, applying, and drying the epoxy? Are you adding anything like solvents to it?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster