I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Dye?
Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 09:30AM

Have any of you ever dyed cork handles?

I have this split grip build started where the handle is made from a combination of light and dark rings. The handle and butt are already epoxied to the blank and turned to size / shape. In isolation, they look great but when I slide on the reel seat, one of those AERO comfort finish seats, well all of a sudden cork pattern just looks, well "off." The ring pattern just doesn't seem to fit as well with the back of the AERO seat overlaying the one side. I'm wishing I had just used EVA but instead of starting over, I'm wondering if I could dye the cork instead. Has anyone ever done that?

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Dye?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 12:00PM

Mark,
In a word, cork dye does not work well.
Many folks have tried and most have failed.

Remember, cork used to be used for life preservers because it floats. Also, cork does not absorb water.

That also means that cork does not absorb dye very well.

Rather that using cork, mix other materials in your grip construction to get just the look you desire.

Good luck

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 12:26PM

I have seen leather dyes used successfully on cork tape grips. I don't know how well the effect has held up though. Maybe a sealant was used however I can't recall.
Email me and I can tell you where to find the info.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 01:50PM

what color you use will set on the cork, not in the cork , this means it will wear off in time , no matter what you do, just as Roger noted above ,
some will last a little longer than others but they will all wear off with out a seal coat on top , there again after the seal coat wears off you are
back to where you started , the color will wear off, for what I know about cork,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 04:48PM

If you used burl cork, you can change the appearance dramatically by applying Tru Oil, which will show the character of the burl nicely, but will darken the cork. You can apply wrap epoxy which will also darken the cork, but will also give it a beautiful gloss finish while exposing the character of the burl.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 07:49PM

This subject comes up about every 6 months (search this site) and the answers above pretty well cover the problem.

Cork is a closed cell structure, thus it does not absorb fluids. Dying will color the cork surface only and would need to overcoated to prevent wearing off.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 02:43PM

Mark, everyone is answering your specific question, and they are right. But in a more general sense you are asking what can you do to make cork more attractive. Consider my first post. The green burl cork on the rod in my photo was terribly ugly as machined. Little to no character, looked dull and dusty, no class, nothing attractive. But compare to the photo. True Oil will be about half way between the raw machined cork and the photo rod.You cannot dye it successfully, but that is not the only trick in the book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster