I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennesee Handle tape
Posted by: Andrew Best (209.252.173.---)
Date: March 27, 2017 06:41PM

What does every use for a Tennessee handle to hold your reel on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennesee Handle tape
Posted by: Brody Haakenson (---.gondtc.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 07:47PM

cold snap reel wraps is what i use on my ice fishing setups. i have also used hockey tape

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 08:41PM

I back wrap i layer of electrical tape over cork to prevent damage , then use reinforced shipping tape to lock the reel on, then form the grip with athletic tape

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 09:49PM

I do a wrap of light hold painters tape directly on the cork and wrap over than with 3M Super 33. This way you prevent damage to the cork as I've had issues with electrical tape pulling out chunks in the past.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 10:16PM

Size A thread,
Then epoxy finish, same as I do a guide

Posted by: Tucker Jacobson (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 10:46AM

For those that do thread wrap and epoxy, is that as permanent as I'm picturing it to be? If a reel needs to be removed is it possible to do without tearing the cork up?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 12:08PM

Two layers of black tape where the holding tape will be. That tape stays on the grip to protect the grip from the effects of the cork. -- as Nate said.

Put the reel in place and two more wraps of electrical tape on the front reel foot and on the rear reel seat.

Keep a roll of tape in your tackle box, in case that you need to change a reel or refresh the tape.

The tape does not leave a ridge on the reel foot and thus makes the reel foot very comfortable. Also, on a cold morning, the tape insulates the reel foot from cooling off your hand from the cold reel foot.

Easy, simple and effective.

I will never ever use thread and epoxy to attach a reel to a fishing rod. I normally transport my fishing rods with no reels on them. I want to be able to install and remove reels from a rod at will.

I will often use two or three different reels on the same rod over time.

I always keep my reel case in the boat. If needs change, I find it easier to change the reel than the reel spool. Also, if a reel goes on the bunk, rather than waste on the water time tinkering with a reel, remove it and put another reel on the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 28, 2017 03:50PM

Hello Andrew.

I'm with Steve, I do use carbon grips though (lighter).
Take it off just like a guide.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Andrew Best (209.252.173.---)
Date: March 28, 2017 09:10PM

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying some silicon plumbers tape that self adheres to itself. Feels good and I can move it when I want!
Thanks for everyones input.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 05:36AM

I have built a few in the past, Using the Fuji plate seats wrapped on carbon handles. I let the customer choose the location with his reel. I was impressed with the build quality and how they locked down tight.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 05:38AM

Like Robert
I use carbon fiber on Tennessee handles

Here is a link to a picture of one on the cover of Rod Maker make from 9 years ago, if you have the ability to blow up the picture will be easier to see.

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Posted by: Mike Corn (206.23.59.---)
Date: March 29, 2017 03:28PM

Shipping tape base with self-fusing silicone to cushion. There are a few brands out there like Rescue and X-Treme that have different colors to match.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 01:55PM

I agree with Mike Corn, although I use rings instead of shipping tape to secure the reel to the handle. I overwrap with silicon tape. It offers a few advantages. First, there is no glue to ooze on hot summer days. Second, once it bonds to itself it is very secure. I much prefer it to electrical tape.

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster