I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RPM speed for Rod dryer
Posted by: Dan Murphy (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 09:29AM

I have a couple of rod dryers for my fishing club and i'm thinking about buying a couple more. One is pokey slow and the other dryer turns about 12 rpm I would guess. i was thinking about getting a little faster motor. My assumption is that I will be able to put on my epoxy faster. What speeds to people here prefer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 09:42AM by Dan Murphy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RPM speed for Rod dryer
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 10:32AM

Dan,
As I have posted before, purchase a 100 rpm DC gear motor, a speed controller and a power supply for the motor.
That way, you can run the motor in either direction and vary the speed from 0-100 rpm.

That way you can apply finish on a faster turning rod, but then slow it down to any speed that you want for the long term drying.

For example:
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

-------
Or, this speed controller happens to included an on/off - reversing switch.

[www.amazon.com]

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 10:33AM

I like 200 rpm for applying finish, don't really care about drying speed, they all work. I find applying finish by hand is faster than on the dryer if that' s all I have. Hand steady and a quick roll of the hand gets it done guick.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 11:36AM

Any speed drying motor will do. Mine all turn at 18rpm and they work fine. However, I apply the finish at a much higher rate of speed - probably close to 100rpm (just below the speed that the epoxy doesn't get slung off the rod). I used to apply by hand turning the rod, which also works ok - but I found I get much crisper, straighter end points and lower build up of epoxy at a higher rate of speed.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2017 03:30PM

I love your tech Roger, thanks.

Date: March 26, 2017 07:53PM

Many of these 35 mm motors use a 6 mm shaft. So, if you are going to put a motor together, it is nice to also purchase a 6 mm drill bit so that you can drill out a chuck connection to 6mm.

These motors are mounted by 2 mm screws - I think. Normally, I use 4 screws. I use a piece of paper to use over the face of the motor to mark the holes for the face plate.

Then, I use thin aluminum plate for a motor face mount. I drill the holes for the motor mounting holes and the larger hole for the shaft sleeve. Then, I drill 1 hole in each corner of the rectangular motor mount plate to mount into a mount for the dryer.

An example of a face plate mounted motor of the type mentioned in the post to a dryer stand made of wood.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is an example of a motor mounting angle bracket, along with a nice mounting coupler that is a perfect fit for the 6mm shaft.

[www.amazon.com]

Here is a 6mm motor coupler that will fit perfectly on the end of the motor shaft that allows you to mount your dryer chuck to the end of the coupler.

[www.amazon.com]

Here is a picture with a DC motor mounted in one of the commercially available motor mounts listed above with the coupler on the end of the motor:

[www.aliexpress.com]

The correct size screws to mount the motor to the mounting bracket are 3 mm in diameter and 8mm long.

For example: [www.amazon.com]

However, depending on the thickness of your mounting plate, you might want to go down to 6 mm or up to 10 mm or longer:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 08:19PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Andrew Best (209.252.173.---)
Date: March 26, 2017 08:43PM

SO what RPM for a wrapper than? Looking to try to make my own and save the money.

Date: March 26, 2017 09:40PM

I have tried a bunch of different rpms and have found that for a beginner, the use of a 500 or 600 rpm is about perfect.

For an experienced wrapper an rpm of 1000 rpm is about as fast as anyone can handle the thread on the long wraps.

So, when building the wrappers, I use the DC gear motors with that operating speed. Then, I use 1:1 pulleys to drive the rod wrapper chuck.

Thus, the rod spins at the same rpm as the motor speed.

Be safe

Posted by: Andrew Best (198.62.108.---)
Date: March 27, 2017 12:26PM

Thanks for the information. Anyone have any suggested motors that would fit the bill? I am really not electrically savey so less wiring the better!

Date: March 27, 2017 12:31PM

Go to Mudhole, and purchase one of their built up dryers and or motors and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster