I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson's Ultimate Reamer
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 09:16PM

So I received an email for Batson's new ultimate reamer, Dang that's one pricey reamer!! Or self defence weapon as I'm sure it would work great for that. Here's their link, Prices are {per reamer} not the set. Not sure where their mind-set was at with this and it's pricing, But I won't be owning one. I love their products. But this is over the top for me. [www.build2fish.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson's Ultimate Reamer
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 10:08PM

You watch the videos? That's sweet. Custom sizing for a high volume shop would be just the ticket.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 11:09PM

St. Croix and other manufacturers have just such reamers to be able to ream, and size a grip for a particular blank and reel seat in one pass of the tool.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 10:33AM

Never going to have to replace the sanding belt on a standard reamer is sure worth something and I guess if you had it for many many years it would pay for itself.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 25, 2017 11:50AM

I don't wrap sanding belt, I use Coarse Silicon Carbide grit with {JB weld} on my tapered mandrels. The key to getting it stick so it stays put, Is Washing the grit with Dawn detergent to remove the dust and any oil in a screen colinder. Let it dry in the oven, Coat your mandrels with JB and roll them in your grit. I have some that have lasted more than a year with regular use. The key for me is I chuck them up in my lathe and Let the mandrel do the work. But I'm not doing high production. I works for me and is cheap, I grabbed about 10 pounds of Silicon Carbide from work before I retired. Jaa

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2017 02:41AM

It's target market is probably for somebody else. No offense meant. But a high production facility would probably find it invaluable and would write it off as a production expense. Batson makes other reamers probably more in line for the general market.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 02:02PM

Hi All,
I just wanted to clarify that the Ultimate Reamer is not a Batson in-house brand like Rainshadow or Forecast. It's a separate brand with it's own parent company, development, marketing, etc. We're currently offering only the sizes in the .007" taper per inch but may offer others in the future.
In regards to pricing, these are very expensive to produce and we pay a lot for them. I assure you we aren't gouging anyone. In fact, our margins are quite skinny on these. My honest assessment of the product is that they're amazing and perform as advertised (otherwise we wouldn't sell them.) I believe that they become worth the money when a builder is doing significant volume in particular rod blank size range. I advise buying the one or two sizes that hit your volume sweet spot in order to make the product earn its keep.
All that being said, the other target customer is that builder that just wants to have the baddest tool out there. And at this point in time, the Ultimate Reamer is it. All one needs to do is watch the video.... [www.facebook.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 02:07PM by Geoff Staples.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 10:14PM

I guess it depends on what your time is worth
here we have a reamer that takes longer to tighten in the drill then it does to ream the cork, and yet the whole process include tightening all four sizes into the the drill takes less then 2 minutes 12 seconds

that's a lot of time saved! would not take long for it to pay for itself

Date: March 28, 2017 12:32PM

Steve,
When doing production rod builds, I use a different drill for each drill bit or reamer so I don't have to waste time changing bits or reamers.

I have done this for years when doing building construction projects. i.e. a drill for the pilot drill bit. A drill for the body drill bit, A drill or impact drill to actually set the screw or lag bolt. But any time when working with hard woods, it is essentially to pre drill to avoid material splitting.

Again, a separate drill for each action, saves a huge amount of time in a big project with different drilling needs on the job.

For most of these jobs - especially in the shop, I use inexpensive corded drills that never run out of power.

Cordless equipment have their places, but when working in the shop it still makes a lot of sense to use corded equipment.

Be safe

Date: March 28, 2017 12:32PM

Steve,
When doing production rod builds, I use a different drill for each drill bit or reamer so I don't have to waste time changing bits or reamers.

I have done this for years when doing building construction projects. i.e. a drill for the pilot drill bit. A drill for the body drill bit, A drill or impact drill to actually set the screw or lag bolt. But any time when working with hard woods, it is essentially to pre drill to avoid material splitting.

Again, a separate drill for each action, saves a huge amount of time in a big project with different drilling needs on the job.

For most of these jobs - especially in the shop, I use inexpensive corded drills that never run out of power.

Cordless equipment have their places, but when working in the shop it still makes a lot of sense to use corded equipment.

Be safe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2017 05:31AM

Roger that's part of the point I was making. If you elimination chucking time in the drill. Probably looking at less then a minute a handle.
Lots of labor savings, especially if doing introduction work.

Personally I run two drill presses, and (when needed) have another reamer set up in a lath I prefer to keep things stationary and two hands free to work with.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.97.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 29, 2017 11:14AM

I got three of them at the Expo this year. I don't make a lot of rods a year, probably less than 70. My other reamers were constantly having contact problems with the epoxy loosing grip due to the heat buildup and I found myself either replacing or repairing them. Having to stop a project in the middle so I could repair the reamer was just too frustrating. So, I took the jump and got the ultimate reamers. They work great and I have no regrets getting them. One word of warning, don't let your hand slip off the handle material when the reamer is spinning, even at a low RPM. These things are unforgiving unlike the traditional reamers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster