I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Determining winding checks
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 02:52PM

So far when I purchase rod components I have been buying what I need for the rod itself so I dont have any extra pieces lying around. I would like to get some metal winding checks but unsure of what size to get because I dont have the blank on hand to measure the size. Is there a trick to determining which size winding check would be best for a rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Determining winding checks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 03:35PM

Ken,
Have all the components that are size important like reel seats, winding checks, and tip top sized and included in your blank order, the supplier will throw them in the same tube as the blank and the shipping will not change usually from what your already paying for the blank alone.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 03:35PM

you have kind of answered you own question as to determining the size you need unless your using the plastic/rubber ones as they will stretch a bit to fit several rod sizes with in reason.
where the aluminum checks can be reamed out some to fit the blank if to small or a bit under size.
the blank size is what you need to make an accurate determination of what size you need most times Aluminum checks are in need of some reaming to fit

I dont have the blank on hand to measure the size.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tim McIntosh (209.221.12.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 03:46PM

You can also call customer service from where you purchase your rod blanks from and tell them what blank you are ordering and they will be able to help you determine the size of winding check you will need.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 05:37PM

Better to order aluminum winding checks slightly larger than slightly smaller. Reaming an aluminum winding check is a pain in the neck, and the resultant rough edges can scratch the finish when sliding into place. You can use wrapping thread to hold the slightly larger winding check in place. As far as ordering the correct winding check you can let customer service know where you want the winding checks located and have them do the fitting. MHX blanks have a chart showing the blank diameter at every inch from the butt of the blank. You can also get a good estimate on winding check sizes by calculating the change in diameter per inch. This can be done by subtracting the tip diameter from the butt diameter and dividing that number by the length of the blank. From this you can calculate the diameter of the at where you want the winding checks to go, this will also work for exposed blank reel seats. Order aluminum windings slightly larger, vinyl winding checks slightly smaller, and reel seats slightly smaller since they can be easily reamed. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 06:39PM

Reaming aluminum checks is done easily if you use a cone shaped mandrel stone you do the top side and then clean up the from the under side I just do it by hand as using power it can snag and fly away and then it is ready to mount and won't have any burs that could scratch the blank.
these type of stones are available at home depot with a 1/4 inch shaft for a standard drill chuck or there is also 3/8 arch cone stone that is 3/8 inch dia available for a dremel rotary tool makes easy work out of reaming things like aluminum winding checks

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 09:11AM

Ken

In my experience it is easier to remove material than to add material My advise is to buy towards the small side and ream if necessary.
If you can't get the vendor to help you, then check out other rods (stores, friends, yours) to get approximate dimensions and order the one you think is right.
Don't worry about extra parts lying around, If you are going to to tinker with rod building as a hobby it will be impossible not to have extra parts lying around. I've yet to meet a rod builder that has cut off a section of handle or some guides and did not save them because "They may be needed sometime". Many times I have ordered several sizes of a part to make sure of the right fit so I don't waste the time and shipping costs to reorder the right size and with any luck I could use the spare parts for other rods.

Have fun and Good luck

John

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 03:50PM

Thanks for all the input. I probably reach out to customer service prior to purchase to see if they could help. I will look for sizing charts, think that might help as well. Definitely not worried about extra parts. The more the better.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 06:07PM

Many of the sponsors on the left will fit the check to the blank if you order them together and ask them to fit it.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.lnse2.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 04, 2017 02:16AM

Just buy a few different sizes, they are fairly cheap and i think come in .5mm increments. they always come in handy if your doing a few rods.
The other way to have a more accurate guess is to draw the blank on paper, full size, you should know the tip and the butt size, go for there, mark out the gimbal, grips reel seat and your there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster