I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork seal
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:23PM

HI

I have been using u-40 cork seal on my cork handles and it seems to work well. I would like some feedback from you folks on your preferred sealers. Also I started to make front and rear grips using burl cork and would like to know if the U-40 will work on burl cork.

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork seal
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:37PM

My preferred and only sealant is Cork Seal. Yes it works great on burl. If it's cork, use it.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:53PM

I've been using the U40 for awhile now and I like it. It seems to bring the color of the cork out real nice.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2017 07:56PM

The U-40 product is able to seal and protect the cork without undue darkening of the material. I have tried some alternative hardware store products, but none seem to work as well in the same manner. Thompson's Water Seal is pretty good, but you won't find small quantities available. It also doesn't last quite as long as the U-40 product, but it does manage to seal the cork without darkening the material, just like U-40 Cork Seal. Having said this, the U-40 product is ultimately a better buy and a little better product, in my opinion.

Yes, it will work on burl cork as well.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 08:23PM

I use Kiwi conditioning oil for shoes. Before that I used the mink oil for about 30 years.It makes the cork slightly darker but that eventually wears off. The thing I like about it is it still lets the cork breath or get air to it and keeps it from dry rotting like wood sealers do. I have cork on rods that are 35 years old that are still just as good as the day they were turned..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 09:04PM

I use no sealer on cork. Never have, never will. I just prefer the look and feel of the raw cork.

When I look at commercial rods, I don't believe that many of those rods use sealed cork - but I could be 100% incorrect on that note.

Be safe

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 09:05PM

My choice is Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil. While it does darken the cork, it seals in all filled pits. I have rods that are 8 years old that show no cork wear and dirt and grime do not seem to adhere to the finish. Tried U-40 originally but found the Tru-Oil to be much more durable.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 09:41PM

I like to use U-40, works well.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-143.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 04:42AM

I used to use U40 corkseal, but now use U40 perma gloss. It is multi-use. I like the way it looks, and holds up well.

Chris

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: March 24, 2017 10:26AM

I put a lot of work into making nice cork handles using a mix of light and dark burls, checkerboards, etc. only to have the sun fade them out in one season. So for the last couple years I've been using General Finishes Outdoor Oil which has UV inhibitors and cures to a velvety soft feel. It's held up really well to the elements but I expect every couple years I'll need to scuff it and re-apply a couple of coats. I'm a long time woodworker and have had great results using it on outdoor furniture.
This year I have been using Epifanes on my wood handles and may try that on cork, though Epifanes is a thicker build marine-grade varnish. Not sure how that will work on cork, but there's one sure way to find out...

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.1u-phx0.1.141.6.11.3.securedservers.com)
Date: March 24, 2017 02:42PM

I like linseed oil it is both cheap and it lasts for years but it does turn a bit darker! but cork is going to do that anyways. I fish in the Calif sun 2 to 5 times a week and I have for the last 20 years and not one cork handle has ever gone bad. I have tried U-40 cork seal and all the others and have found that the U-40 will get soft and start to peel after a lot use use which my be do to the heavy Calif sun but all my lineseed oil cured handles still look the same as day one.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 08:20AM

Thanks for all the feedback.I will continue to use the U-40 and I will try the oils mentioned and see where it leads me.

Again, Thanks for all the feedback

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 25, 2017 10:05AM

The colored burl corks really look dull and not at all attractive without something on theme. I'm sure all the products mentioned will do a good job of brightening them up and bringing out the "grain." Try to find the cork burl that has various size chunks in it-much more attractive than the burls with all tiny, uniform-sized chunks. Night and day difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster