I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a new Walleye blank
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 08:40PM

Hi guys, I am thinking its about time I build my self a new walleye rod, I was wondering which blanks would be good for using bottom bouncers and Lindy rigs. I was thinking of trying Rainshadow blanks or an MHX, but I am open to suggestions. Just looking for something to make a good rod but not break the bank either. Thanks Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a new Walleye blank
Posted by: Brody Haakenson (---.gondtc.com)
Date: March 22, 2017 08:54PM

SJ783-2-MHX

i have used this mhx blank for 4 builds. all builds have puller bottom bouncers and lindy rigs as well as jigged with a small jig and preformed well.

I like the 2 piece because it fits in the limited storage space in my boat and also will fit in the trunk of my car for days when i fish from shore.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 09:39PM

For several years, I have been using the Batson or rainshadow blanks exclusively for Walleye rods.

The popping blanks really excel for use as a lindy rigging rods.

One of the nicest blanks in the RX8 series for this purpose is:

REVIP76ML-SB Satin Black 7'6" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.500 5.0 MOD-F ML 2.0oz. Inshore/Small topwaters/Speked Sea Trout

[batsonenterprises.com]

But a similar blank in the Immortal series is also excellent.

IMMP76ML Titanium Chrome 7'6" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.450 4.5 MOD-F ML 1.5oz. Inshore/Sea Trout

Take care.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 10:44PM

I was also wondering if there is an advantage with a 7'6" rod over a 7' rod? The longest rod I have is 6'6" as my boat isn't that big. I would be willing to go to a longer rod if I knew there was an advantage with longer rods. Thanks Justin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 02:02AM

Justin,
For lindy rigging, I very much prefer the use of a longer rod.

You can certainly use a 6'6" or 7' rod if you like.

For lindy rigging, many of the bites that I get are due to a visual cue from movement of the rod tip, or a twitch in the line on the water. A longer lighter tipped rod, gives a larger visual foot print for rod tip watching and line twitch watching.

Take care

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 11:25AM

I did a lot of bouncing on the Saint Clair river with the Bushido SJ72/8-15 .... give it a look

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 06:11PM

Justin if you are more comfortable with a 7 then by all means a 7 footer will do a good job for you. Consider the Elliott SJ 7ML [getrodblanks.com] this is our best seller as a Lindy rig/Live bait rod blank. If you want something a tad softer the Elliott SJ 7L [getrodblanks.com] is a sweet blank too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster