I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Number of guides on Bamboo
Posted by: Bill Pappas (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 03:06AM

I've noticed that there are alot more guides on Bamboo fly rods. Is this due to the amount of flex they have or aesthetics?

Also, do guides need wraps? Or can l hit melt a small amount of tip top glue to hold the guides and then epoxy for strength?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Number of guides on Bamboo
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 07:01AM

Bamboo is just like any other rod. Flex it & place the guides as you would on a fiberglas/graphite rod. Wrap the guides as you would on any rod. Hot melt / epoxy isn't going to hold up when the rod is flexed. If you want to go "conventional" on bamboo use OO or OOO silk thread. YLI silk is widely available.

PS - One reason that you will see more guides on a bamboo rod is because it is a parabolic blank (like high percentage fiberglas rods) and it will tend to flex over the entire length of the blank more so than a 'fast tip" graphite rod.

50 weight Size A on 100 meter spools

The 50 wt Size A thread is heavier than the 100 wt YLI silk thread. This thread is 100% Filament thread from Japan giving it superior strength and a smoother more vibrant finish than spun threads.

Excellent for rod wrapping classic bamboo fly rods. Japanese silks have long been recognized as the finest in the industry.

YLI winds many of the 50wt spools at their base in South Carolina. The other colors are directly sourced in Japan and known as Kanagawa silk, which is same thread, just different spool types.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 07:24AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 11:43AM

Bill

If you use silk, know it will color shift, sometimes dramatically, unless you use color preserver. Do some test wraps, with and without color preserver, and choose the look you like best.

Yes, you can use epoxy finish on the wraps. The traditional wrap finish is spar varnish, but the bamboo purist police will not arrest you for using epoxy.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 01:00PM

If you are looking for the wraps to appear to have no thread wrap, use white Gossamer Silk thread and NO color preserver. The wrap will turn transparent with application of the epoxy. I usually thin a first coat with DNA so as to get very thorough penetration.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 22, 2017 04:55PM

Bill, there are numerous bamboo fly rod tapers. Each is designed to accomplish the feel, power, and flex desired by the maker. In the case of the "Cascade" blank designed by Dennis Stone, the taper is a relatively fast taper. In order to protect the fine tip section, five guides are mounted on the tip section. There are four guides on the mid section. Only the stripping guide on the butt section. It's likely Dennis would also recommend ten guides on the eight foot version. I built on the 7'9" version blank.

Posted by: Bill Pappas (---.sub-70-194-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2017 10:12AM

Thank you everyone, I got some recommendations from Dennis on guide placement, and I'll use the white gossamer silk for transparent wraps, I'm just curious if the wraps add any real strength when using epoxy, or if i can keep the wraps to a minimum?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 10:57AM

Thread wraps are what hold the guides in place. Epoxy or varnish secure thread wraps in position and protect the thread from abrasion.

Posted by: Michael Andersen (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2017 02:36PM

I have used spar varnish, Epoxy, and Waterlox. I'm one who likes to have a good coating on the wraps, so I use the epoxy. I have not found that all color preservatives are the same. some work better than others so wrap some thread on a extra piece of boo and apply several types of color preservative. you will be amazed at how some do nothing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster