I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some advice on butt
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 06:22PM

I'm building a gator blank tuna 72 rod, but im having trouble finding a big enough butt to fit it. The diameter of the very end of the rod is 1.2155" OD, and the biggest ID unibutt I can find is 1.18". It is an unlimited class rod, and I'm not sure if I would have to sand it to fit? Anyone have any suggestions to make something work? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice on butt
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:14PM

You have the blank and but in hand? The GG is advertised to have a button OD that should fit in a UB6 ferrule. But that's certainly not the end all/be all.

I probably would not sand the butt...unless you are just wanting an 8' rod. I'd prefer trimming it to length.

Date: March 21, 2017 07:46PM

I have the blank, the butt i havent ordered yet. The blank i measured with caliper but the butt im just going on the size the sites say the ID is. About 3-4inches up it turns into 1.18 on the blank. Is it safe to trim it? The reason i ask is that it will be used on very large sharks.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:54PM

I would just cut the blank you could cut it long and sand up about an inch but not much more than that to make it fit the butt id so you would only loose about 2-2/12 inches in blank length

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 07:59PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 09:52PM

I'd cut it. If you don't it's going to be quite long. I'm assuming you are fighting from a chair or from the rod holder.

Date: March 22, 2017 02:53PM

Thanks guys! That is what I'll do. I'll cut it down to fit the butt, and the Avet T-RX 80w is on the way for it. Also, will just be a fighting belt from the beach.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 06:43PM

Hello Jon.

Tied to a Tree? No Tree...Good Luck!

I've hooked 1000lb sharks within throwing distance from the beach, even killer whales will chase food right up to the beach if it stays deep enough.

I was no more than 100yrds off shore anchored catching 10-11Ft hammerheads when a great white decided to join in on the fun, I left.(the boat was 25ft. the shark was at least 15ft).

Again Good Luck

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

P.S. Keep a sharp knife ready!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 22, 2017 08:49PM

HAHA! We have 3 people to help, and I weigh in at 320+lbs. If it gets too crazy we will definitely have knives at the ready though. We get a lot of hammers and bulls, but the great whites usually are only here during the winter. Hoping for some 10ft or so hammers. I don't think I would be so comfortable with a 15ft white shark though, hahaha!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2017 04:34PM

You will have ZERO fun fishing from a UB6 unibutt. They are WAY too long for that. The reel will be up by your chin!

OPINION ALERT!!!

...What you need is a shorter sleave butt section with separate gimbal and reel seat. For heavy stand-up I recommend an 8" plastic butt. This gets the reel down low so you can take advantage of your harness. I hope you're using a good bucket harness. That would put the gimbal around mid-thigh, and the reel would be just above your waste.

I've seen some of those beach shark setups...and alot of them are way too long for the purpose. Shorten that thing up, get the appropriate butt for your purpose, strap into a good harness...and dig in those heels!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster