I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy not curing
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 05:48PM

I have been conducting a rod building class for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing here in Omaha. Its been great fun and the rods are coming along really well. But, and a big but, some of my Veterans have complained that the epoxy isn't drying. That it stays tacky forever. They say they are mixing according to the directions, 50/50 mix. I checked the epoxy and it is a 1;1 mixture. So I am at a loss to explain why its not curing. The only thing it could be is old epoxy. So what is the shelf life of two part epoxy? Is there any way to change the mixture to make it harden?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy not curing
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 06:00PM

It is not a shelf life issue! The reasons for epoxy not curing are these, 1) improper mix quantities (ie. not 50/50) 2) Not thoroughly mixed. 3) Cold temperature where curing. If you can eliminate #3, it is one or both of the others..

Date: March 21, 2017 06:34PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is not a shelf life issue! The reasons for
> epoxy not curing are these, 1) improper mix
> quantities (ie. not 50/50) 2) Not thoroughly
> mixed. 3) Cold temperature where curing. If you
> can eliminate #3, it is one or both of the
> others..

We are testing the epoxy now. I should have an answer by the morning, at least I hope I will.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:06PM

My first question would be, "How are they measuring the two parts?"

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:10PM

John

Phil is correct. Epoxy can do nothing except cure provided the proportions are correct (not close enough but spot on), it is thoroughly mixed (not just stirred around but well mixed), and the temperature is about 70 degrees or more. The additional cure time in a 65 degree room can be surprisingly longer than the cure time in a 70 degree room.

Some epoxy finishes, such as ProKote's medium viscosity epoxy, that have more generous open time take a bit longer to cure. First time I used ProKote I was in full panic mode after about 6 hours. But after cranking up a space heater overnight, all was well the next morning.

The good news is a fresh coat of epoxy (well measured and mixed in a warm place) will usually cure (pun intended) the problem.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:23PM

John

I should have added that if after 24 hours in a warm place all the applied finish is still not cured, the #1 suspect would be inaccurate measuring and unequal volumes of resin and hardener. If some wraps have cured and others remain uncured, then mixing is a more probable suspect.

And to your last question, no, mixing other than 50 / 50 by volume is the odds on favorite to make an aggravating situation worse.

Date: March 21, 2017 07:55PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is not a shelf life issue! The reasons for
> epoxy not curing are these, 1) improper mix
> quantities (ie. not 50/50) 2) Not thoroughly
> mixed. 3) Cold temperature where curing. If you
> can eliminate #3, it is one or both of the
> others..

We are testing the epoxy now. I should have an answer by the morning, at least I hope I will.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 10:39PM

John,
Slowly mix the epoxy for a minimum of 120 seconds or 2 minutes as measured by a clock. Longer is even better.

I use a plastic mixing cup, and a craft stick with the end of the stick ground flat, with slightly rounded edges to avoid cutting the cup.

As I mix, I frequently wipe the sides of the cup and scrape off the stick on the side of the cup, to insure that ALL parts of the mix have been completely mixed.

I had the same issue on a couple of my first builds. When I asked why - it was suggested to me, that it could be incomplete mixing and to do a 120 second or 2 minute mix by the clock.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2017 08:44AM

Phil has it right on the head and Roger has great suggestions. if you are mixing less than 3cc and not using syringes it could be the cause. it has to be dead on and two minutes is the minimum I mix the batch larger quantities three minutes.

Tom

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2017 10:52PM

Alright, John. How did it end?

Posted by: David C. L'HEUREUX (---.hsd1.mo.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2017 10:39PM

I have struggled with this also. Temperature and humidity matter. I also used the little tin flat that extends the working time of the epoxy. Well everything I used this thing it has taken the epoxy quite a while several days before I could wrap over the top. I did have issues once with the epoxy the I got from healing waters. But am unsure which parameter was out of whack. Tell the guys to mix for 5 minute or so all the time scraping the bottom and sides of the cup and try to stay away from the metal mixing cups.

Just my opinion.

David C.L'Heureux
ET2 (SW/AW) USA RET
100% Disabled Veteran

David C. L'Heureux
ET2 (SW/AW) USA RET.
100% Disabled Veteran

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster