I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polyurethane
Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 08:46PM

Has anyone used wipe-on polyurethane over top of handwriting on rod. I have seen a video on YouTube where a rod builder used polyurethane over a hand written signature. I am trying to get the look of a raised lettering from the enamel ink I used for signature. The standard finish will completely cover the ink and has not give the look I would like to have in the previous builds. I am wondering if the poly will be durable and stick to the rod without yellowing down the road. Give me your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polyurethane
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 08:57PM

How about color preserver over the ink - before finish?

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 09:05PM

The finish just fills in and covers the handwriting to the point where I can't feel the raised lettering. I don't understand what the color preserver would do for this issue.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:52PM

you would have to use perma gloss or lumi seal as they aren't a high build finish both available from MudHole

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-129.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2017 03:11AM

David,

I have not done what you want to do, but I did just want to remind you that perma gloss is very hot, in a sense that it can dissolve many types of ink or paint it is put on. Make sure you allow your ink to dry thoroughly before trying to coat it. And I would do several test runs, on scraps, first.

Let us know what you do!

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 07:42AM

Cason CP is also a hot CP, if you coat with CP use a water based, the CP is supposed to help prevent hot thread coatings from dissolving the inks.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 08:07AM

seriously if it were my rod I would use the lumi seal as it is a water based urethane and cleans up with water and will not yellow and will be as tough as the rod finish . the water based products are great if you don't like the harsh chemicals the others are made with

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: March 21, 2017 11:29AM

I've ordered the Lumi seal this morning. Will do a couple of test runs and will keep you posted. Thanks for all the advice. Hope to upload pics when complete.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 08:42PM

I did not know that there was a water based LumiSeal!
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 10:50PM

Just a comment:

I admire your tenacity on solving your issue. But, do NOT do this job on your rod that you are working on without completely testing your process first.

Find a scrap blank - do your lettering and any additional process including the final coat or coats of finish.

You want to be 100% sure that you have a perfect process that will give you the ideal results that you wish to have with the process.

I have lettered rods for years - i.e. my wife does the lettering, since her writing is so much better than mine.

We use acrylic ink with a pen and nib. I let it dry for at least 30 minutes and apply rod finish. The one thing that I am very careful about doing is to Not to brush the blank where there is any lettering. Rather, I just insure that the finish is thin enough so that the finish will nicely flow over the lettering - with just a slight amount of rotation. You don't want the finish to run a long ways, or it could work on the lettering. Also, heavy brushing over the lettering could move or change the lettering. But otherwise, just let the finish flow out nicely for a nice smooth finish and the result is smooth and professional.

I understand your desire to have raised lettering, but don't beat yourself up - if you find that you are having a great deal of difficulty to achieve this look.

Test and verify that you have the perfect process - before doing anything with your new rod build.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 11:19PM

I agree completely with Roger, test on scrap to make sure it works.
Norm

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (50.53.255.---)
Date: March 27, 2017 04:11AM

I use clear scotch tape over my ink writings and then brush my Perma-Gloss polyurethane over it and the ink never runs and the tape is invisible once it is dry with not even a sign of it.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: March 27, 2017 07:33AM

Thanks Glenn. I will test that also. I appreciate the advice.

Date: March 31, 2017 04:39PM

Thanks Fred. Your idea worked great. I used the Chroma-Seal with two coats and then waited 24 hours to apply the Perma-Gloss and got the ideal look I was going for. The Perma-Gloss would smear the enamel ink without the color preserver protecting it. I used Testors enamel ink from a craft store with a quill pen, then the Chroma-Seal ( 2 coats an hour apart) and then the Perma-Gloss. Doesn't have the thick look that 2 part finish makes. Thanks again to all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster