I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking about building, need advise
Posted by: Charlie Kemp (64.191.89.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 10:27AM

Ok rod builders, I'm thinking of building my own rods. I'm a very handy person and believe that if I take my time, I could do a nice job. I thought maybe I would start with a crankbait rod before trying a flippin/skipping rod. Most of my fishing is fliipping/skipping jigs or creature baits. Currently I use 2 of the green G Loomis 854 JWR, and 2 of the green G Loomis 855 JWR, and 1 green G Loomis GLX 894 FPR for flipping & skipping. I only paid full price on 1 of these rods, caught deals on the other 4 between $300 - $350 per rod. Now I find myself needing 1 more of each rod. That's 3 more $300 - $400 purchases, and who knows how many over the rest of my life.

Personally, I wish I could find a bunch of 2nd generation GLX BCR rods, but no luck. I feel these rods were more responsive than the new ones.

Here are my questions:
1. I know I can build crankbait and moving bait rods for around $150 that Id be very happy with, but could I build a rod comparable to my GLX rods in that price range? Maybe on the MHX High Mod blanks?
2. Can anyone tell me if the green GLX rods have titanium or stainless steel guide frame material? I know the rings are SIC, which i would use Nanolite or Alconite. Also, I love the soft feel of the reel seat on the GLX, can I get my hands on a reel seat like that?
3. Can anyone tell me both guide frame material and ring material used in the BCR GLX rods?

Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking about building, need advise
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 10:56AM

Charlie,
Good luck on your wishes.

For many years, G Loomis rod blanks have not been available to the market place. After being purchased by Shimano, the corporate decision was made that rod blanks would not be sold to anyone. All rod blanks would either be built up in the G Loomis factory or scrapped out at the factory.

So, you can build comparable rods, using a Batson or a St. Croix, or Phoenix or other brand blank. But, doubtful you will find any G Loomis blanks of the type you mention on the open market.

Having said that - even though I own quite a few G Loomis rods that have been built up over the years, including GLX blank based rods, almost never use any of these rods when I fish.

Rather, I use the current rods that I have built with either a Batson, St. Croix or one of the other contemporary blanks available today.

I just find that I much prefer the feel, and overall performance of these new - "other brand" blanks better than my other G Loomis rods.

Your choice.

p.s.
If you have to purchase rod blanks, and rod building parts at retail - you will be hard pressed to build up a new rod for much less money than what you can find the same factory built up rod on the open market - especially at some stores who might be running somewhat of a sale on their rods.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (157.89.191.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:13AM

I have done builds for customers that like the MHX more than the Loomis for the both the price point and the feel. It might be other things besides the banks but I use nothing but MHX for me and any customers. Another plus is they are fantastic to work with. They are great with any questions and warranty is a breeze. I've never worked with any other blanks so I cannot speak for those but I have been very happy with my experiences

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:08PM

Many of the MHX blanks mimic the Loomis tapers. Gary Loomis started a new company called North Fork Composites, and they make very high end blanks, whether or not they are worth the extra price is debatable. Other high end high modulus blanks that I have built on include Rainshadow Eternity 2, St Croix V, and Point Blank blanks, these are all excellent blanks within the same price range. There are also a lot of very good blanks out there at very reasonable prices. It is very hard to go wrong with any of these blanks. In many cases the way you setup the guide train and the grip has as much to about performance and feel as the blank it self.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 02:12PM

GLX was brought out in 1994, I'm willing to bet someone has found better stuff since than, everything else has changed. Looked at a Loomis rod in passing at the Sportman Show in Portland, Or. looks like they use a real good imitation of the old Castaway reelseat now. The guides looked like Ti to me when I picked up the rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 02:14PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 05:24PM

Charlie

I'm a hobby builder, and have found out over the last 12 or 15 years that you probably can't build a rod for any less money (buying components retail) than you can buy a similar off the rack rod. But you can sure build a better fishing & nicer looking rod! I've built around 35 or so rods and have gotten pretty good at it, and prefer my own builds over retail rods any day!!

Rog

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:46PM

Question number 1 almost answers itself. You say you would be happy with the $150 build. You can leave it at that. But if you want to go further, I don't believe you can build a $150 rod that will match the GLX. Also, if you are a beginning builder, you may not reach your expectations on the first few builds. I always recommend starting on the less expensive stuff; make your mistakes there, then move on to what your dream is.

Date: March 20, 2017 08:10PM

You can build a very good high performing rod for $150 or less, and that is using high quality low cost components like Fuji KR guides and Fuji reel seats, or similar components from other manufacturers. It is not that hard to do, just cut out the high cost bling components that do not enhance performance.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 08:57PM

I've never fished a GLX so I have no idea how well they perform. Going just on the reputation of the GLX, I'd have to agree with Michael .... I don't see how you could build a comparable rod for $150.

I've now built 3 rods on Rainshadow Immortal blanks. I don't know how the Immortal blanks compares to the GLX blanks, but I have over $200 in components (including shipping) for each of those builds. And the only thing I'd consider fancy about any of those builds, would be an MVT reel seat. Going with a less expensive reel seat would get you under the $200 mark, but it wouldn't get you to the $150 mark.

All three are built with EVA split rear grips, Fuji Alconite guides with SS frames, rubber winding checks, and a couple of trim rings. One at the butt cap, and one between the reel seat and grip.

Date: March 20, 2017 09:39PM

I have repaired and fished with a bunch of GLX GLoomis rods over the years, they are nice but not that nice, I honestly think they are over prized for what you get. The cork handles are not of high quality, and the guides are basically run of the mill. There is nothing state of the art about these rods. They are not even as light as many other rods, with the same specs, costing much less. They are a plain Jane rod, and I am underwhelmed by them. I do not think Shimano has upgraded the GLX line since they bought out G Loomis. You can certainly build a better rod for less money.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 08:02PM

North Fork Composites will have the blanks that are the closest to the G Loomis blanks. Just look at their rod specs on their site for what you want. The titanium framed guides you can get get from Fuji, Alps, Kigan or Sea Guide will be comparable or better than what Loomis has as will reel seats from these manufacturers. Also Phenix, Alps, Sea Guide and Pac Bay have "soft feel" reel seats. Other rod blanks that come to mind are Phenix, American Tackle, MHX and of course Batson Rainshadow., they have the sanded unfinished rod blanks in certain models that you have come to know and love in G Loomis. You can make a rod for $100 or you can do it for $500 it all depends on what you as a rod builder want to spend and what you desire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster