I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fix scratches on rod blank
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 08:28AM

So I recently removed the guides on my first rod because the finish ended up having footballs and such. I re-wrapped the guides and put finish on the guides once again. There are some spots left on the blank from the previous attempt where scratches still exist on the blank, probably from my sanding job. I saw that maybe using clear nail polish would help to smooth over the scratches. All are superficial just cosmetic. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fix scratches on rod blank
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:39AM

Sounds strange, but I scratched up a blank when sanding a handle and I put mink boot oil on it. Once I applied that the scratches were invisible.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 04:33PM

We have used furniture polish, "Armor-All", and WD40.
All seemed to work well depending on the blank finish and depth of scratch.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: March 20, 2017 08:02PM

I have some WD40 laying around..Ill give that a shot. Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 09:10PM

Ken,
If you are going to do anything with the row with respect to wrapping or finish application - do not use WD40.

WD-40 is essentially very similar to mineral spirits - (oil) and will be very incompatible with any sort of rod or guide finish.

Good luck

p.s.
On a finished rod - for maintenance, I will use wd-40 in a fashion similar to wax to give more shine to the rod surface.

Date: March 21, 2017 07:11AM

The rod is done, I just wanted to fix up the scratches left by the sandpaper. The WD40 seemed to do the job for the most part. There are a couple of outstanding spots, but nothing too bad. If I was to fix deeper abrasions, what would be the suggested fix?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 08:49AM

Keep the "dry wall principle" in mind. It is: There comes a time in any project when all attempts to make it better will make it worse.

If you have a scrap glossy rod, scratch it similarly to the one you're trying to fix and try just a drop of Tru-Oil applied and rubbed with your fingers on it.

The problem with putting fingernail polish or other finish of that type is that it most likely will have too high a build, so the repair spot might show as a high spot. If you can find the right stuff that can be rubbed onto the scratch should get filled without building a high spot.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 02:28PM

Hello All.

? could you just take a drop or two of finish and cover the scratches and then go over them with a paper towel right away, will that fill the scratch and still not be too high?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2017 03:09PM

Robert, that process should work. I was thinking of something like that with the polyurethane finishes, but they dry so fast there might not be time to finesse it. Wrap finish should work. I'd test anything I was planning to do on a scrap rod.

Date: March 24, 2017 07:07AM

I havent done anything with the rod lately since applying the WD40. It seemed to do the trick, for now. If I have some extra time, I might try applying some finish and wiping. That seems like it would be a good approach for the slightly deeper abrasions. I definitely dont want to create high spots. Thats what made me redo the rod in the first place. Its my rod and and completely aesthetic so Im not too concerned about it. I would pursue other options if I was building for someone else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster