I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Finesse Spinning Rod
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:32AM

Looking at trying to build a new spinning rod to throw ned rigs, shakey heads, and smaller tubes. My blanks are narrowed between SJ842, SJ8600, and perhaps the P842 all by MHX. Guides I am torn between the K-Concept which I love on my casting rods or the Microwaves I had on my last spinning rod. I am very happy with the results of both guide trains, just trying to optimize the build. I will be using braid to fluorocarbon. I am considering a Tennessee handle or an Aero.

Thanks for the help. I have almost no experience with building spinning rods and have zero at all using Tennessee handles. I am just trying to build a rod that wont hurt my hands like the one with normal size 16 Fuji seat. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finesse Spinning Rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 01:03AM

are you using a kit or part purchase separate ?? as for the handle they are simple to do and you can opt not to use the reel rings and just tape the reel on and get the most in sensitivity from the rod. Mudhole offers a nice hks-8 Tenn handle kit
the guides are a tossup the microwave are the top of the line and more than likely the best choice as versed other options and considering the line weight your using should cast a country mile

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 20, 2017 01:15AM

I plan on building separately. I do really like the microwave set I added to that older rod. Is there a good length so that I can have a universal size or should I size it to a rod?

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 01:40AM

Ben, why not figure which size reel seat best fits your hand size and build your handle around that? Unless you are set on a Tennessee handle. There is certainly nothing wrong or terrible building that way. Many anglers actually favor them over using a reel seat. It can have benefits over a standard handle.

Date: March 20, 2017 01:56AM

I thought about ordering and trying them out but most of the issues I have come from the last few hours of a tournament. So while they will all not have any issues just holding them after 5 or 6 hours it starts to show up and from what I have been able to figure out the TN or Aero are considered some of the most comfortable. I have used an Aero and liked it but I have heard a lot of good things about the TN. I just do not feel like I know enough about the benefits of one versus the other to make a really good choice.
Thanks,
Ben

Posted by: David Boudreau (---.tr.cgocable.ca)
Date: March 20, 2017 07:00AM

follow topic

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 07:05AM

I never use size 16 seats, always 17's for that kind of rod. Tennessee has the advantage or allowing infinitely variable reel position, some rings don't hold the reel as securely as a regular or Aero seat, not sure you can get kits for them, might have to custom turn your grip. Look for components from Mudhole.

Aero is very comfortable. I don't like the looks, but that is just me. For that kind of rod I use a size 17 Fuji DPS deluxe mounted up locking so that a ramp can be made to go off the front hood of the seat-very good sensitivity and ergonomics. This keeps the fingers off the seat threads and is very comfortable.

I have no experience with the blanks you suggest, but would recommend 7 foot medium power, fast or Xfast action.

I personally prefer the KLH setup over the Microwaves. Both are high guide sets that may not fit into the rod tubes on boats-if that's a problem then I would use Fuji Y for the reduction guides, any of their rings will work fine, I use Alconites. I use SIC tiptops for the ring hardness as that is what will groove first.

The rod will be good for drop shot too, so use a drop shot style keeper.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (157.89.191.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:10AM

Rod tubes aren't too much of an issue. I'll look into the KLH. I use k guides on all my casting rods and love them. Do you just use an epoxy ramp on the front or a small fore grip

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:26AM

Ben,

I just completed a similar build. This is a part of my "thoughts" on the build from my post.

Rod number two was built on the rainshadow immortal Blank IMMP7OL. It is 7 feet with moderate fast tip geared for light spinning apps on 4-10 pound line. I used the mudhole SGK-4 split handle kit which utilizes a American tackle Aero Seat in cork. Again the KR Concept was used with the SIC inserts. Nine guides plus tiptop. Same winding checks. The entire build weighs 3.2. Ounces and looks great. The same improvements noted above need to be made in my building. Backyard performance test thrilled me. 8 pound Floro, way under spooled, threw a third of an ounce drop shot weight a country mile effortlessly. I understand that it's not a real life representation but there is no doubt it is going to work great.

I caught my first Bass (2.91lbs) on it over the weekend. I love it. Throws a light bait effortlessly, is light, comfortable, and sensitive.
Hope this helps.

Rick Elrod

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:38AM

I prefer a KR setup over the microwave setup. Tried a Tennessee handle once and disliked it so much that I removed it. I also do not like the feel of the Aero reel seat just feels weird to me, but some like it a lot. To me the most comfortable spinning reel seat is the Fuji VSS seat size 17. Fuji has a Winn grip that fits it and it is very comfortable, can also get cork grips for it. I set it up down locking and use the SK2 hidden thread hood, with either a Fuji cork or Winn grip fore grip. The reel is securely held and you have a nice smooth grip with no lumps or bumps and no threads exposed, it is the closest thing to a Tennessee handle you can get and reminds me favorably of the the old vintage Fuji LSH speed grip only better. If you want to use the Areo grip I would suggest using a hidden thread hood, all of the Fuji hidden thread hoods will fit the Aero.
Norm

Date: March 20, 2017 11:39AM

How do you like the Aero seat and is it the size 16 or 17?

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 01:36PM

After handling quite many reel seats at the expo the Pac Bay GBS was one of the most comfortable,has a blank touch window and comes in 16 or 18mm.When I get around to doing a spinning rod where maximum feel is needed I will go with one of those. I am not a fan of split spinning seats.Done a Tennessee handle on a surf rod using a carbon fiber tube and secure the reel with a Fuji plate seat, it is comfortable but taping the reel on would be even more but I needed to be able to take off the reel easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 03:54PM by David Miller.

Date: March 20, 2017 01:56PM

Gbs looks good. Also just saw Fuji TVS. Anyone have experience with it?

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 03:19PM

Fished a bass tournament Saturday and my partner and I caught all our keepers on Mr. NED. Build your rod for sensitivity!

Blank I used was a MHX SJ842-2 (2 piece for traveling)

Reel seat was Fuji SK2 with cork front, rear and butt grips. The foregrip has the blank exposed right where your thumb goes.

I use a 2000 size spinning reel spooled with 20 lb. braid plus an 8 lb. flurocarbon leader

Date: March 20, 2017 09:37PM

Yeah, I got turned onto the Ned by a buddy who followed behind me catching more fish than I did with my jig. On some of these lakes around here it is so easy to zero I need a rod to throw this thing on. I have one but it is a pretty sub par blank, short, and too stiff for the deadly nedly

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 10:38PM

I have a SJ842 and a high modulus P843, both built as casting rods. These are actually my 2 favorite Mhx blanks. How light do you want to go with the jig heads? I think the P842 is going to be too light in the power department. Both my blanks load and cast well with 1/8 oz and small plastic. I'd give a slight edge in power to the SJ842. The popping blanks have a more progressive taper and a fast tip. Bottom contact total weight of 1/4 oz or more, I'd opt for the SJ842. I'd opt for the popping blank for light Ned rigs where you're pretty much just reeling up to set the hook. For tubes and shaky heads, actual hook sets, I'd go with the SJ842. It's more universal imo, where as the popping blank works better with weightless plastics, jackall flick shakes, etc. Base your decision on which techniques you employ most. Just my 2 cents. Both are sweet blanks.

Date: March 20, 2017 11:40PM

Most of my baits will all be under 1/4 oz, would the longer 7-2 version the SJ8600 be a good middle ground? ML 1/16 to 3/8 with a fast tip?

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:56PM

Ben Eipert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of my baits will all be under 1/4 oz, would
> the longer 7-2 version the SJ8600 be a good middle
> ground? ML 1/16 to 3/8 with a fast tip?

I haven't used that particular blank, but I'd imagine it has the least power of the three. Probably somewhat whippy. While lure ratings can be arbitrary, I'd keep that quarter ounce right in the middle of the suggested ratings. Do you want a blank that has a relatively deep flex, or one that shuts off and hits the back bone a little quicker? Are you looking at the standard or high modulus blanks?

Date: March 21, 2017 01:12AM

I prefer a rod that will have a lot of backbone but with a soft tip so that I can feel the rod load up when I move the bait a tiny bit but do not want to sacrifice the power for a hookset or casting

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spok.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2017 02:31AM

SJ842 all day. The P843 has a thinner, softer tip section. I use my P843 for flick shake finesse worms and 3/16 oz jerkbaits. The SJ842 I can still use for the same things, but I can bump up to a weightless 5" Senko and larger jerkbaits. I'd say the top end for the P843 is right around 7/16 oz, where as with the SJ842 I feel comfortable with 9/16 oz. Makes a nice light square bill and rattle trap rod too.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster