I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod repair suggestion
Posted by: David Boudreau (---.tr.cgocable.ca)
Date: March 19, 2017 11:03PM

Hi,

this is my first post and hopefully not the last one :) , but so many post already help me to make the jump in the world of rod building. Thanks to poster and responder.

So my father have an old Daiwa rod bought in late 80's or begin of 90's that is loving. I would love to rebuild it completly soon or later. But for now, I must repair a small nick near the first guide.

this is a pic of it

[www.rodbuilding.org]

In my mind, I need to fill the nick with a stuff and move the guide over the area and wrap it.

As the filing material, i think that some rubber cement could be the best bet. It will fill the void and keep some flexibility. Other glue, cement or epoxy would become crystal hard and may stress the rod in a way that i could be worst than now.

your comments would be really helpfull.

ps. your comments about a full restoration of the rod could be helpfull for later :)

best regard

New to rod building, love to learn and fish hard

I'm a frenchy, so be kindly :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod repair suggestion
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:17AM

I would use epoxy daub and then do a wrap over the nick and use an epoxy finish on it
but if the nick is deep in to the glass it will eventually fail that would call for a different procedure

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: David Boudreau (---.tr.cgocable.ca)
Date: March 20, 2017 06:54AM

What do you mean by "epoxy daub"? Do you mean adding silica to epoxy to make a paste similar to peanut butter?

the depth represent roughly 1/5 to /14 of the blank diameter.

My father cant remember when it appear. I realize the nick this winter when inspecting the rod for her restoration. So it maybe there from a couples of year. This rod succeed to fish a 5lbs trout last year and when I bended it this winter, she handle well the bend.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 07:07AM

Daub like a drop just enough to fill the nick

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-135.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2017 08:12AM

David,

No matter what kind of glue or epoxy you put on it, it will still be a weak spot. I believe the only thing you could do to make it strong, is put a fiberglass sleeve over it. A very light weight piece of fiberglass rod blank, tapered and epoxied in place would be perfect. Then wrap over it, put a coat of finish on, wrap the guide on it, and put another coat of finish.

The repair article in the library may help you with this: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 12:32PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 11:05AM

David,

With the overall look and age of that rod blank, I would do only one thing with the rod.

I would strip the rod 100% of everything from the blank including the finish, and after getting it cleaned up 100% check for defects in the blank.

If I found any defects of any significance at all, I would either just forget about rebuilding the rod, or I would just do a nice inexpensive rebuild on the rod doing a 100% coating of the rod blank with epoxy and after completing the rod, use the rod for a memory display on a memory wall.

I have done this for several friends who had a very special rod from long times ago. The epoxy finish adds a lot of weight to the rod, but for a display rod, weight makes 0 difference.

If you want a really excellent super fishing rod, just purchase a new contemporary blank and go to work on building the new rod.

But, memories are wonderful and are great to be preserved But, generally speaking huge advances have been made in rods, rod construction and components that it is literally impossible to get equal performance from a rod from long ago filled with wonderful memories. So, preserve the memories, but build a new rod.

Good luck

Posted by: David Boudreau (---.2-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:04PM

Thanks folk for your comments

@Roger
I know that is probably the best solution and it's in my head to offer him another high end rod(The rod was near 300$ when he bought it roughly 25 year ago). But I dont have time to build a new rod before the season and I also want to practice myself on other project before starting this gift. I still never wrap and epoxy a thread. But I like your memory wall idea :)

Whatever I repair it or not, he will use it this summer.

So I'm more on epoxy vs rubber cement vs other filling putty vs the real necessity of a sleeve since it isnt a complete failure.

In my mind, the rod seem to have survived like it since some time, so I'm not oriented through using a sleeve. Just filling the void, moving the guide over, with or without underwrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:18PM

David,
One simply way to remedy the issue is to simply do a thread wrap over the area in question.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 12:35PM

I agree with Roger, completely strip the rod down, it is possible that you have a nick in the finish only and not the blank. If you do have a nick in the blank, then, as Chris suggests, oversleeve it with a piece of tubular fiber glass that fits snugly, and reposition your guides so as to place a guide on the repair. Will hardly know it has been repaired. Old vintage rods have sentimental value, and can be fun to fish.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster