I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brother PT-P700 Label Maker
Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 02:22AM

I'm in the process of setting up an after school program rod wrapping class at my school. I'm getting better at wrapping but I'm having some issues creating custom labels for the rods. I'd like the kids.to design their own label to be put on their rods. I have no problem creating the labels but am having some issues with keeping them to stick. I've tried smaller 3/8" and 1" labels with the same result. I've even tried the extra sticky labels.

Last night I tried a side by side test. On a small piece of rod I put two labels. On one of them...I put a little pro kote on the label and nothing on the other. This morning when I checked...the coated label was peeling off while the other was fine. (I didn't hqve the rod in a dryer but don't think it would have made a difference.)

I'm starting to think its the expoxy because I noticed the clear plastic film was the part that was coming off. I haven't had time to repear but I was wondering if there was something else I could try instead of the pro kote. Is threadmaster the same as pro kote? Is there something I might be able to apply before using the epoxy? I've tried about 5 or 6 different types of labels...its starting to get expensive! :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brother PT-P700 Label Maker
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 09:15AM

I have never used the label maker you are talking about but did try clear mailing labels and never liked the result. I too have taught rodbuilding to students at school. It is a lot of fun. We make our own labels but use inkjet water slide paper. Students now days have computer skills we cavemen can learn from. I always have them make 2 in case one tears or does not come out right on the rod. Make sure you use a clear fixative on the decal. You can use just about any publishing software. My other biggest tip is to have students practice wrapping on 1/8" wood dowels till they figure out where there fingers,thumbs,cutting tools and pull loops go before starting to wrap the rod.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 09:42AM

I know it means buying another label maker, but click on the custom label maker title on left side of page. Larry has a great label maker that will work for rods and any other labeling needs. Im guessing you are a teacher at that school. If so you will find many uses for their label maker. It's worth a look. MH

Date: March 19, 2017 09:43AM

Correction...the title is "custom labeling system"

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2017 09:56AM

Try coating your labels with 2 coats of color preserver let dry then apply your pro kote. it helps seal the edges and hold the labels in place while the epoxy drys. I use Cason's crystal clear color preserver but I am sure other color preservers will work also.

I'd rather be catching!

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 11:09AM

Hi Dave,

Larry here from LRT Group. The PEARLabel label printer is a better fit for custom labeling the rods. If you want samples of our tapes, let me know.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 11:37AM

So you understand why the PEARLabel is a better unit, here are few reasons.

1. Brother tapes are laminated - PEARLabel do not need lamination. We use Resin Ribbon, Thinner = less expoxy needed.
2. Brother Print is 180 DPI - PEARLabel printer 270 DPI and 360 DPI
3. Brother offers a 2 year limited - PEARLabel has a Lifetime Warranty

Ask around, we have sold almost 300 PEARLabel units to the Rod Builder since 2014.

We have been selling to rod builders for over 35 years. Also offers Free software training, 7 days a week.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 05:09PM

Thanks for all the info guys...I have a lot to think about. I'm going to try some of the suggestions before I head out and pick up a new printer. Hoping I can make this thing work. If not...I'll definately be talking with Larry.

Just curious...what other printer options do I have? All I'm looking to do would be some text and a graphic...I'm always scoping out @#$%& for a good deal....but would prefer keeping what I have.

Thanks and have a great day!

Date: March 19, 2017 06:57PM

Go with Larry. You won't be disappointed. Great product.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 07:26AM

I don't think it's possible to find a better 'task specific' printer at the PEARLabel price point - and the service can not be beat. If you run into a problem or have a question Larry will answer it for you FAST including how to import graphics. If there is a drawback it is that the printer only does one color - no multicolor labels

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 04:28PM

Pearl is the way to go.....and you will not get better service than Larry Tobin.................

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster