I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

castaway exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 05:47PM

Hello: I was given 5 castaway exposed blank reel seats, they are 14MM, 14.5MM & 15MM which I had no idea what that was when they were given to me, so I would like to be able to use them, but the bass rods I build are way too small for that size. Is there any way that these can be made useful or do I need to find someone that needs them that big to give them to?

thanks for any ideas

terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: castaway exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:40PM

Terry hold onto them as you may come across a need for them in future builds. With that type of seat you can ream them to fit larger blanks but don't want to try shimming for smaller.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:48PM

You may be able to use a carbon fiber reel seat insert in the size 15 mm seat. That is the same ID as the Fuji TVST size 16 reel seat which requires a reel seat insert. The carbon fiber inserts come with a foam core and can be reamed to fit a blank. If this works it may be quite possible to ream the size 14 mm and 14.5 mm seats to accept an insert. You can also make your own insert to fit.
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:55PM

thank you for the replies, i knew everyone would have ideas on these, i will hold on to them and i like the look of the CF inserts.

terry

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2017 09:15AM

I made a ECS seat fit a much smaller blank using one of these.

[www.mudhole.com]

Glue it into the seat, bore and ream to fit the blank, and trim away the part of the arbor in the exposed area of the seat. A careful sanding of the trimmed part, before installing the seat on the blank, gave me an acceptable looking seat. I wish I had pics. I gave the finished rod to a friend, and did not think about pics until it was too late.

Your best bet is to hang on to those seats until you need one that size, but what I did will do the trick. You just have to be slow and careful trimming away the excess arbor. Trim it over sized and sand the rest of the way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster