I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Results and thoughts on my first two builds
Posted by: Rick Elrod (184.63.184.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 05:46PM

Specs
Rod number one was built on a Hi modulus MHX blank. It is the SB812 that I built primarily for spinner bait and or Jerkbait fishing. I used carbon fiber split grips and Fuji KR Concept Guide train with stainless Gunsmoke frames and S I C inserts. There are 10 guides plus the tiptop . I used dimpled aluminum checks for aesthetics. Is it perfect? No. But it looks mighty fine overall. Backyard performance with a half outnce spinner bait yielded awesome results with Not only distance but accuracy. Improvements need to be made in terminating wraps and applying epoxy to larger areas such as over the decals to the first stripping Guide.

Rod number two was built on the rainshadow immortal Blank IMMP7OL. It is 7 feet with moderate fast tip geared for light spinning apps on 4-10 pound line. I used the mudhole SGK-4 split handle kit which utilizes a American tackle Aero Seat in cork. Again the KR Concept was used with the SIC inserts. Nine guides plus tiptop. Same winding checks. The entire build weighs 3.2. Ounces and looks great. The same improvements noted above need to be made in my building. Backyard performance test thrilled me. 8 pound Floro, way under spooled, threw a third of an ounce drop shot weight a country mile effortlessly. I understand that it's not a real life representation but there is no doubt it is going to work great.

Final thoughts: I already love the hobby and my " Full speed ahead "personality is going to get me in trouble. I've already decided to sell my off the rack equipment as I am able to replace it with my builds. I am also a firm believer already in the micro KR concept. I have not tested it on the water due to the recent snows but just from throwing baits in the backyard I know it is going to be awesome. Thanks to everyone here on the forum for giving me help when needed.

Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Results and thoughts on my first two builds
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 06:02PM

Great R&D. Awesome that you jumped in a did your first with carbon fiber grips. I have one little tip, the Alconite guides are lighter than SIC and don't make any difference in the cast-ability. They are lighter and with that many guides it should help make the tip a little more responsive.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2017 02:28AM

Rick, I've been reading your previous threads. Sounds like you've built yourself two nice rods. Nice job?

You're not alone in having to tidy up some aspects of your builds. I know still have some things I need to tidy up as well.

Personally I think you're ahead of the game in that you started out choosing your own components. I'm certainly not disparaging those that go the kit route for their first couple of builds. You can build a nice rod from a kit, but choosing your own components isn't that hard. Especially with the help of the fine members of this site.

Also I completely agree with Lance. I can understand if you went with the SIC rings because you wanted the gun smoke colored frames, otherwise Alconite rings are not only lighter, but they'll save you a little bit of money as well. Saving money while increasing performance is a win win proposition in my book.

And you're like me. I'm slowly replacing all of my factory rods with my own builds. What I really love about the addiction, is building a rod that the factories don't offer.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 18, 2017 08:56AM

Lance and Dave,

Thanks for the replies and advice. Moving forward I will check out the Alconite guides. I was unaware that they are lighter. I do love the gunsmoke look with my first 2 builds. One is red/silver and the other is blue/silver. My third build is already in the works. It is another Rainshadow Immortal spinning blank IMMS610MXF and I have already purchased the same components as in the build above. I do have a Rainshadow Revelation crankbait blank on deck and I will plan on trying the Alconite guides on it.
I am already so consumed by the hobby that when I buy the components for the next build I also by the blank for the one on deck. I do this not only to take advantage of the free shipping over $149 but also to make sure that there is always something in the pipeline lol

Regards,
Rick

Re: Results and thoughts o kn my first two builds
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2017 11:49AM

Rick I am happy to hear that you like the KR concept setup. When I made my first KR spinning a casting rods, shortly after the guides were introduced, I found them to be real performance enhancers. They give the rod a light and responsive feel and they cast like a dream. If you really want to see more performance enhancement switch to braid. Lance and David are both correct, Alconite is slightly lighter than Sic and performs just as well with the type of fishing you do. Higher cost does not necessarily mean better. I have also made KR concept rods using high frame small ring guides from other manufacturers such as PacBay minimina M and F guides, and SeaGuide XOHG and XOG guides. These guides give high performance, lighter weight, and lower cost. Because the KR concept is becoming so popular I think there will be more KR- like guides coming on the market in the near future.
Norm

Posted by: joseph arvay (107.77.85.---)
Date: March 18, 2017 06:08PM

Rick Elrod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I've already decided to sell my off
> the rack equipment as I am able to replace it with
> my builds.
> Rick Elrod

Don't. You might find some of it useful for parts or even worthy of partial rebuilds and improvements, especially with regard to guide layout strategies. Also fine material for learning how to disassemble fishing tackle in a non-destructive manner for rebuilds, a skill that always comes in handy with this craft. I've learned more from rebuilding/altering ideas on the same familiar blanks and it always requires a practice hand at disassembly. Best to build those skills on things you're NOT in love with as deep gouges can happen.

Think of them like scraps of lumber in the garage and keep 'em around.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 18, 2017 07:20PM

Rod #1 Diawa sells a rod that's rated the same as yours for $529,00. It weights 3.7 oz. I'd say ya done good! I'd like to know the actual distance of those test casts (approx.) No one has much to say on that subject. I'm also planning a KR build on a similar blank as soon as I get supplies. Thanks, Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 07:21PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 10:15AM

Lynn,

To be clear, you would like to know the distance that the SB812 throws a 1/2 oz spinnerbait?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2017 03:40PM

Sorry Rick, should have said rod #2. That's the one that compares with the Diawa I mentioned. I'd like to know the distance you get with the setup you mentioned on that rod. I usually just try to throw it as far as I can with a one hand cast. Approx. distance. Thanks, Lynn

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2017 01:32AM

Rick, as you already have the blank for your future build, you now have a way to measure and order things such as winding checks if you decide to use aluminum ones on a split grip rod. That is if you choose to build it out that way. Smart move!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster