I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Titanium Stripping guides for Fly rod
Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 09:18PM

I'm about to start in on an 8wt saltwater fly rod build. Almost all the rods I've built before have been for freshwater. Can anyone help me pick out a saltwater safe stripping guide? I am interested in the titanium guides I see from Pac Bay, American Tackle and Alps. I'm not able to see them in person so I'd appreciate any advice on which would be the best choice. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Titanium Stripping guides for Fly rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 10:02PM

I'm not familiar with the Pac Bay, have used the single foot spin guides from American Tackle, and found their yield strength (easy to bend) lacking. I have used the Alps a number of times and love them. They are very handsome and appear to be very tough, although I've not tried to destroy one. I believe that all titanium alloy guides will work fine in salt.

I've used Alps stainless steel tiptops in salt, and I rinse every day when I get off the water. They seem to be very corrosion resistant, Of course so are REC's.

If you plan to use a keeper, most of the stainless steel ones are not very corrosion resistant. Use a REC keeper or don't use one at all. I don't use them for two reasons. First, I don't want anything on the rod that could tangle with the line. Things happen way too fast in salt. Second, if I use the frame of the first guide, running the leader under the reel foot and back up to the guide I will not have the leader to line knot going through the tiptop.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 05:15AM

I rank titanium guides as follows:

1 - Fuji
2 - ALPS
3 - the rest

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 07:16AM

Everyone has their favorite flavor. Mt last salt built included SeaGuide strippers.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 07:18AM

Do not overlook RECOIL guides. No rings, no rust.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 08:53AM

I prefer the minima 4 guides. They're light and durable. Also, priced right. I only build saltwater fly rods and use on 90% of builds. Running guides, the recoil or snake brand snake guides and the minima single foot guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 10:25AM

Most guides advertised as "titanium" guides consist of a plating of titanium a few microns thick over a base metal. There are no solid titanium guides. The closest thing to a "titanium guide" is a REC Recoil guide, which is made of a solid, all-the-way-through Nickel-Titanium alloy. REC guides will not corrode, even if their surface is scratched, and if they are accidentally deformed by being struck or pressed they will spring back into shape.

Date: March 17, 2017 11:05AM

Thanks for the advice all. One concern I have is how high the guides stand off the blank. I don't have catalogs for all the different components so can any of you recommend a guide that is lower in profile amongst all these titanium guides?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 01:32PM

Fuji, Alps, American Tackle, SeaGuide, and PacBay all advertise that their titanium guides are made from a solid titanium alloy, not titanium plated or coated. They are all corrosion proof and all more expensive than stainless frames. In addition to these solid titanium alloy guides, there are various types of Titanium PVD coated and titanium plated guides, and these are not solid titanium.
Norm

Date: March 17, 2017 02:20PM

The heights for a size 12 titanium stripper from American Tackle, Fuji, and Alps are:
American Tackle Ringlock - 16.26 mm
Fuji KW - 17.4 mm
Alps XN - 18.5 mm
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 06:08PM

Fuji KW Ti Frames and Torzite, SIC and Alconite rings. Very strong proven frame and good guide height for fly rods. The others listed do not have that design.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 06:58PM

I am a big fan of all the Alps guides! Their TIMXN Titanium (not coated) are excellent for salt!

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: March 17, 2017 07:41PM

Alps Ti-LXNZG - excellent titanium framed stripping guides. Have them on several rods, used in salt - not a trace of corrosion.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 18, 2017 11:50AM

AmTak TItan. I use the NIRVL model on my smaller weight fly rods and have had no issues in the salt.

Date: March 18, 2017 12:07PM

Looks like you could flip a coin, they are all excellent guides.
Norm

Date: March 18, 2017 01:08PM

Thanks all for the recommendations! It's a huge help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster