I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unlevel finish on cross wraps
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2017 02:25PM

Having a problem getting a level finish on my cross wraps. Specifically a chevron wrap. I leveled the rod but I still get uneven finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unlevel finish on cross wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2017 02:33PM

What do you mean by "uneven?" A wavy, lumpy finish? Or are you talking about an open wrap where the centers remain higher than the open areas between the crosses?

Date: March 16, 2017 03:49PM

That's it. An open wrap where the centers remain higher than the open areas between the crosses.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2017 04:13PM

If the rod is not level, the epoxy will gather at one end.

If you are having highs & lows, then it's just a product of your open wrap. Leave it as is, or continue to apply coats until it levels up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2017 05:48PM

Okay, if you want a smooth top surface on an open wrap you will have to go about this differently. The finish will tend to level with the wrap, as it does a a guide wrap where the finish stays on the thread instead of all sliding down to the lower rod blank at each end. So you need to do one of two things.

1. You can apply more and more applications until you have sufficient depth to sand the finish flat without getting into the pattern centers, and then recoat with a final finish layer.

2. apply finish only to the low areas, perhaps a couple applications, and then when they are close to level apply a final coat over everything.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 06:38PM

#1 above is the technique I use and it works great. You can make it as perfectly cylindrical as a shot gun barrel !

Jon Hood

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 06:57PM

Teh worst thing you an do is put a lot of light coats, all that will happen is teh finish will migrate to the higher spots, making the problem worse and worse. Putting heavier coats will get it flat and even as you would get it if it was a closed wrap. BUt...you have to spend time practicing and figure out what works for you, and it's not as easy as it sounds - no matter what you do. Benchtime is the best teacher

Date: March 16, 2017 07:31PM

Thanks for the input. In the past I sanded and applied more finish. I was hoping that maybe there was an easier technique.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: March 17, 2017 02:02PM

Billy:

Are you talking about thick coats of light finish or mediums coats for a thick finish?

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 05:02PM

Imma guess and say you need a thicker viscosity finish.

Date: March 17, 2017 10:11PM

I use high-build and normally go with three relatively light coats. Sometimes, if I want a more depth look I'll put several more coats on the wrap.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2017 03:13AM

Chris you shouldn't be using a light finish on Dec WRaps, for a wide variety of reasons

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.honcompany.com)
Date: March 27, 2017 03:43PM

high build, lay the 1st coat on heavy with butt to tip strokes of the brush, 2nd coat goes on thin - it'll level out every time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster