I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fast action 8wt fly blank?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 11:41AM

Hi. At some point, I'd like to wrap a fast action fly blank in a 9 foot 8wt size. Without CCS numbers, I'm going to have to speak generally. This would be for casting 1/0 clouser streamers with a Rio Outbound sinking line (striped bass in still water would be one target). Double-hauling, wind, etc. Possibly surf fishing in the future.

A buddy lent me his TFO TiCR-X a few years ago and that worked well if I remember correctly. I could get that blank, but what else would be in the same category and meet the need for casting that heavy line and heavy fly? How would a Pacific Bay Quickline compare? Any other blank suggestions i might look into? I would like to keep the blank up to $150 (give or take). Thanks!

PS, i should add, I built a Batson Revelation in a 9' 5wt, and like that rod for trout in small to medium sized moving water, but I imagine not fast enough; could be wrong. Still, perhaps the 8wt model has different characteristics.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 12:00PM by eric zamora.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast action 8wt fly blank?
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 16, 2017 11:52AM

You might want to look at the Eternity2 and Revelation Blanks by Batson Enterprises. I just finished an eternity2 5wt. and love the feel of it. I haven't tried an 8 wt yet, but the five weights are really nice.
Good luck on your search.

Mike Blomme

Date: March 16, 2017 11:58AM

Thanks Mike! I should have added the Eternity2 to my list of curiosity, as well as the TFO BVK. Anybody else have an suggestions?

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 11:59AM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: March 16, 2017 12:32PM

Have you looked at the Clouser series of TFO TiCr X blanks, or the St Croix longtime version? Both are designed for throwing sink tips. Built the St. Croix years ago for sink tips and steelhead here in Oregon. You won't miss the 3 inches in length. Get Bit had some of the St. Croix blanks on sale for months now.

Date: March 16, 2017 12:46PM

No, I haven't Spencer. Thanks, I'll check them out.

I was leaning towards the PB Quickline because I'm simply a fan of Pac Bay, but from a forum search just now, I should add the MHX line of blanks too. Good thing I'm not in any hurry.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 01:18PM

I have found there is often significant variation in action between different line weight fly rod blanks of the same make and model. I put little faith in recommendations of certain makes and models of blanks which do not specify line weights. The surest way to get what you want is to test cast a built-out blank, either at a tackle store or at a local fly-casting club.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 02:02PM

It is my opinion that there are two major candidates-Quickline, which is about half the price of the eternity2, has an action just a little faster than the Eternity2, and very close to the same power. The other is the Eternity2 which has nano technology, which should mean a tougher rod, less likely to be damaged. These two blanks are very reasonably priced (especially the Quickline-shop around the sponsors in the left column) when compared with the major big name brands, and I think they are very competitive performance-wise.

Quickline CCS numbers are posted in the Pac bay catalog, and I have CCS for the Eternity2 if you want them (email me).

I built a 9 wt Eternity 2 for my son, and it appears to be a great rod. I built an 8 wt Quickline for me and love it. I broke it doing a stupid act and have since repaired it. It seems to cast as well as before, although I think I can feel the added weight of the spigot and sleeve that were required for repair. The CCS numbers did not change. I'll keep it for a spare and build a new Eternity 2 for my #1 rod before next winter.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 02:29PM

All blanks listed above are good options. I started building on the American tackle bushido fly blanks last season and really like them. You should check them out as well.

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 05:06PM

Donart (site sponsor) has the quickline blanks for cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Never had my hands on an MHX but that's a highly reviewed blank also.

Really comes down to your preference on color and how many pennies you want to save.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 05:42PM

You cannot go wrong with the Eternity 2, but it my not meet your cost objective. I have built a number of them in different weights for customers, resulting in glowing comments about the action.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-70-211-67.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 11:26AM

I've been fishing the Texas coast for a month chasing reds and speckled trout. I'm using a Quickline 7 wt. almost all the time. It is light and pretty fast without demanding really aggressive casting to get it's sweet spot. Not much sight fishing where I'm wading so mostly blind casting big flies in the wind.
Tough work and my arm gets sore with a rod that doesn't cooperate. I really like Rainshadow & MHX rods but the Quickline's a winner plus it is straight with perfect ferrule fit. I'd replace it with another Quickline without a second thought.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 02:56PM

I know, as distributer for CTS, I may be biased. BUT - probably the best and fastest #8 weight that is still castable is the CTS Affinity-X #8 in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pieces
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2017 06:19PM

Can't go wrong with a CTS. I also like the Sage Salt, X and Method along with TFO's BVK and Mangrove.

Date: March 17, 2017 10:41PM

How fast is the CTS?

Date: March 17, 2017 11:16PM

Michael
The blank starts to firm up about 5" aft of the ferrule between tip section (S4) and the 2nd section (3) on a four piece blank.
I have two friends who love it for bonefish with a Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper #8 floater taking advantage for the rods soft tip to cast the 8wt line.
On the other hand I have another friend who loads the rod deeper with a 400 grain floater on Cape Cod beaches with 2/0 and 3/0 gurglers. So he takes advantage of the firmer mid and butt sections.

This is George Anderson's comments of the Affinity-X compared the GLoomis NRX - which is much heavier and really fishes like a 9 weight. So take that into consideration when you read it.

Dear Herb,
>
> Today I had a chance to take your rods out and cast them heads up with a Loomis NRX, our 8-weight shootout winner. I must say that I liked your rods very much. They are nice and light with less swing weight than the Loomis - more like an Orvis Helios 2. The faster rod, the FX, was my favorite but both rods cast quite well.
>
> There is no question that both of your rods are a little soft for an 8-weight. Using a WF-8-F GPX this seemed to bog them down at long distance. When I changed over to a WF-7-F GPX they felt much better. The FX would be a @#$%& of a good 7-weight rod.
>
>Of course I cannot comment on the strength of these rods, but if they will hold up, they would be good. We know that the Loomis NRX rods are not one of the lightest rods out there, but they are definitely the toughest.
>
> I liked the taper on the FX and it’s nice quick tip allowed for some good accuracy in close.
>
> I don’t have the time to do a full examination of these rods to compare them to others in our 8-weight shootout, but I’d tell you that
> they would finish in the top 7 or 8 for sure. If they had a little more power, they would definitely compete with the best rods for #1 overall.
>
> The craftsmanship was excellent, and I especially liked the fancy grips and the style. The double lock seat is top notch of course. So everything about the rods looks very good to me and I’m impressed.
>

It's a sweet blank.(My comment)
Regards,
Herb

Date: March 18, 2017 09:09AM

CCS AA?

Date: March 18, 2017 11:09AM

Michael
i never measured the AA
Actually I do not use the CCS system except when asked.
Through extensive use of the CTS fly blank line I know which weight lines with which they work best.
But I understand the value of the CCS .
I am hobbled now with a ruptured Achilles tendon but I will try to get the #8 out of my rack and test for you.
Herb

Michael
i never measured the AA
Through extensive use of the CTS fly blank line I know which weight lines with which they work best.
I am hobbled now with a ruptured Achilles tendon but I will try to get the #8 out of my rack and test for you.
Herb

Michael
i never measured the AA
Herb

Date: March 18, 2017 04:59PM

Herb, no need to get that number, I was just curious as to how it compared with the ones I already know. Don't bother with a special setup.

Ouch on the tendon, I hope you recover well.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster