I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Euro nymph multi length rod blank?
Posted by: Jason Pereira (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: March 15, 2017 03:25AM

Hi all,

Anyone know of a blank manufacturer that sells a 4# blank with additional 12" or 18" bottom sections so you could take a rod from 9' up to 10' or 10'6?

Along the lines of the Hends GPX - [bogdangawlik.com]

CTS New Zealand will do a custom blank but for crazy expensive prices.

Cheers - Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Euro nymph multi length rod blank?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 15, 2017 09:16AM

Stan Grace and I'm sure others have taken 2 four, or five piece blanks and built them with the grips on all the sections and one with one less section than swap butt sections as needed. Stan was nice enough to tell us the results in the CC data site.

Date: March 15, 2017 01:25PM

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to photos of Stan's build as I'm not quite sure what you mean?

My idea is to add an extension piece between the butt section and the section with the stripper guide/s that way I can go from a euro style nymphing rod at 10' down to a 9' dry fly rod with no need to change reel or even take the line out of the guides.

Cheers - Jason

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 01:49PM

I assume the need for a multi-length rod will be created by unknown conditions at the fishing site. It might be just as effective and a lot cheaper to bring two or more rods until you analyze current conditions. Another solution might be to use a telescoping rod and vary its length as conditions dictate.

Date: March 15, 2017 01:59PM

Phil,

A few of the rivers I fish are 70% nymphing with 30% dry fly, the hatches usually come on quickly and don't last that long. At the moment I fish with two rod's on these rivers a 10' 4# built on an MHX blank and a 9' 5# on a DC SIGv. I'm looking at travelling lighter and be able to fish smarter and quicker to maximise the hatch. The Hend's GPX is perfect except I want my own build not an off the shelf rod as I will be disappointed with the components and build quality.

The other option is to get the Hend's and strip it back to the blank but was hoping that there was a bare blank option out there, somewhere :)

Cheers - Jason

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: March 15, 2017 02:03PM

Do a search of Stan's posts using the Author section for info, he may also have some pics in the Photos section. Both are at the top of the page here. The Common Sense data in the upper left column. The one where it lists the same blank, but tested with a section missing are probably all his info. A lot of it were on blanks you use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 02:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster