I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting HALF a blank
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 14, 2017 10:49PM

So I'm in Florida right now, and when I go back to Cali on Friday, I'll have a brand spankin' new Seeker blank to turn into a spinning rod! I was thinking about painting it up to either the first or second guide in white. I would have the transition under the guide's underwrap. THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ON PAINTING BLANKS!!! I have that part down. Just wondering what your thoughts are on how it would look. The thread I have for the underwrap will have to be finished without CP to darken it to the shade of blue I want. I tested the thread with no CP on a dowel rod, and it looks great after it darkens with the gold trim to match the gold seat hood and gimbal.

So, my questions here:

1. How do you think it would look? I couldn't find any Google images to give me an idea.
2. Will the underwraps look too different with one or two being over white and the rest over black and no CP?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting HALF a blank
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:03AM

where the white is it might be a bit lighter than on the black

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:38AM

Start your wrap right at the edge of the color transition, then your wrap will be over only one color.
Norm

Date: March 15, 2017 12:52AM

Yeah, that's kinda what I was planning, but I'd still have 4 or 5 guides left over the black part of the blank. Or do you think the difference would be negligible? Of course this is assuming I transition at the second guide. I'm not sure what the spacing will look like yet.

I could always paint the whole blank, or not at all...just thought this may give a unique look.

Edit...I think you were commenting based on transitioning at the first guide. Yes that would be an option!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 12:58AM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 01:14AM

Randy,
Nice thought, but I will admit that I personally would not do it.

But, that is the wonder and fulfillment of custom rod building. You can build a rod in any way that pleases YOU. You don't have to please anyone else. If you want to do it and if you like it, then by all means do it.

Good luck

Date: March 15, 2017 01:22AM

Thanks Roger! I sure wish I could find a picture of one! I searched Rod Geeks, because I know they have two tone blanks, but all I could find was pics of blanks, not finished rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 01:29AM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Jerry Driggers (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2017 02:28AM

Hey Randy, shoot me an email and I'll send you a few pictures of rods I've done with white painted tips

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 07:38AM

I have done two green/white Rodgeeks blanks with about a 12 inch decorative wrap over the transition, which is a "soft" transition. One has CP protected Pro Wrap evergreen for the wrap, the other has Madeira rayon in forest green without CP. In neither case is there a problem with seeing the transition through the wrap. For what it's worth. On the Rodgeeks blanks, lower 1/3 in green, upper 2/3 in white, all the guide wraps are over the white part of the blank.

If I were worried about it I would do a simple test wrap over the colors involved. I predict it will look fine. But you will want to be sure to really pack your wraps over the white because the white will show through any gaps. Simulate how it will look with isopropyl alcohol.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-197-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2017 08:34AM

With weight not really being a factor, I would paint it to wherever you wanted to and put a black wrap and a very light coat of finish underneath where you want your blue under wraps. You'll end up with 3 layers of thread on the first one or two guides.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 08:58AM

I vote go for it And if it works with your color scheme, maybe a tri-color.

No CP is probably not going to work for you without under wraps as suggested above. Only way to know for sure are test wraps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 15, 2017 09:22AM

Have you tried some of the rod building forums in the east and south to see if anyone has posted pics there, many also have Facebook sites.

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:10PM

Would it be an option to tape of the areas of the underwrap so that the blank is not painted white in those areas? That would allow for a consistent base to utilize thread without color preserver.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (107.77.94.---)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:30PM

Yeah I suppose that's a valid COA. I'd just have to plan out my underwraps before hand.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 01:06PM

I paint under wraps all the time particularly with gold or silver paint. It really makes the colors pop. Using the same theory, you could either paint the bottom half of the rod white and then paint under where the other guides go up the blank, so they are all wrapped over white. The easier way would be to tape the area under the butt wrap and the first guide before you paint the blank, then after you remove the tape you would be wrapping over an unpainted section of the blank. The transition wrap could just cover the end of the painted section with the wrap actually being over the blank. I use a metallic or NCP trim band to cover any uneven edges on the paint.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 04:11PM

Or you just could take a permanent marker and cover the white part where the wrap would be and leave the rest white as versed doing an under wrap and that would make the wraps all the same after finishing them

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 15, 2017 04:15PM

Thanks for all the comments...I'm trying to imagine in my head how this would look. I may steal some pictures off here or google and edit them in Photoshop to make the lower half of the blank white to get an idea of what it would look like!

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: March 15, 2017 04:27PM

I recently test wrapped shades of red, blue, yellow, and green samples on a white blank with no CP while planning colors for a tartan style wrap. I was surprised how most of the colors were much brighter over white than they are over a dark blank. Using no CP doesn't always mean darker.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: March 16, 2017 12:30AM

Good to know. I have some silver leaf paint I got from Michaels. I may lay that down under the underwraps. I could even do this over the white to maintain consistency.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster