I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wire line build
Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2017 08:28AM

Piecing together a wire line rod for a first time rod build (this should be fun), it is a 6'6'' American Tackle blank AXWT66M. It will have a size 16 roller tip, but I'm unsure of the guide sizes that experienced rod builders on here would recommend. Also, I plan on installing a slick butt to the rod, is there any pertinent information that is specific concerning adding one to a rod blank that one could share and are there any better epoxies over others for adhesion of the slick butt to blank? Sorry for all of the questions but thank you in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wire line build
Date: March 15, 2017 11:18AM

For any of you interested, the rod builder of my last wire line rod (same brand blank, heavy action instead of medium) used 2 size 16 guides and 3 size 12 guides plus the roller tip.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:35PM

Art:
Having built many wire line rods for both Stainless and Monel wire. I have to say I never used Roller Tips, I prefer Carboloy or carbide tips and guides. Most of the wire rods I build are used in saltwater for trolling Bunker Spoons. I also prefer a 2 piece rod, usually a 6'6" blank with a #14 tip,Instead of using a smooth butt I use a Aftco, Pac Bay or American number #2 Unibutt. Giving me a rod just under 8'. Carbide although expensive is a lot cheaper then the Aftco Standard swivel Roller tips recommended for wire line, also most swivels connecting the leader to the wire will not pass through the Roller tip, but will pass through most carbide tips, additionally roller tips require maintenance from time to time. The only problem with carboloy it is very brittle and subject to breakage if the rod is dropped a lot.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Rich Kline CR

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 15, 2017 12:39PM

Like Rich - I would build with Carboloy guides / tip and for all the reasons he has given

Date: March 15, 2017 05:27PM

Thank you for the intel. The only reason that I'm going slick butt this time around is b/c it is a first time build and I want to get some experience installing a gimbal, reel seat etc. I do plan on building many more rods lol, it is going to become a greater sickness, at least I'll be able to build rods for the reels that I have laying around that need "homes". I've used American Tackle and Pac Bay rods for wire line jigging, but are there any others that you would recommend?

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 07:31AM

Art:
I believe Seeker has a blank or 2 for wire line, Art Nothing wrong with the slick butt, all of my wire line rods are used by boat fishermen, and the 2 piece rods are easier to store and transport to and from boats. The other advantage is that with a Unibutt you can get extra furrels any make a varieties of wire line rods. My Unibutts for bunker spoons rods also fits #30 IGFA wire rods used for trolling, tubes, feathers, and various rigs.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster