I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Packing Threads on a Butt Wrap
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: March 13, 2017 09:54AM

Gents, I'd appreciate some thoughts...I was working on a diamond butt wrap this weekend. What I noticed was that as I added more threads to make the wrap/diamonds wider, it became more difficult to keep the threads packed and together. I started over several times until I finally settled on a wrap that was not quite as wide as what I would have liked. The blank was pretty slick with a smooth glossy finish and I didn't use an under wrap. So as I got to thinking....would it help if I scuff up the blank a bit before starting the wrap? Would this help to add some friction between the threads and the blank to keep the threads packed? Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Packing Threads on a Butt Wrap
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 10:19AM

Larry,
Absolutely, scuffing the blank up a bit would help to keep the threads in place. It is something that is commonly done.

If you wish, you could remove all of the finish from the blank and just wrap on the raw blank if you wish. There are quite a few different manufacturers that manufacture rod blanks and put no finish on the finished blank.

Good luck

Date: March 13, 2017 11:03AM

Thanks Roger. I have wrapped a couple of non-finished blanks but the idea didn't hit me then. I really appreciate the advice.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 11:52AM

Don't scuff the blank, learn how to pack the threads together. You're going to scuff teh blank, and find the threads still don't stay together...thenyou'll be back at square one having to learn to pack the threads together.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2017 03:02PM

I don't know how much elongation you're working with in your pattern, but keeping the threads packed is a combination of not too much elongation in the pattern, appropriate thread tension, and tidying up the wrap as you go. Because the threads on centers tend to push each other outward, the right combination of the three things I just mentioned are of utmost importance in getting a clean, crisp wrap.

Date: March 13, 2017 04:36PM

Thanks for the checklist Tom. Diamonds were square. Packed as I went along. First few packed real well. It wasn't until the pattern started getting some width did they come "untidy-able". I'm probably guilty of too much tension however. They packed so well early on so I didn't think about thread tension. It was pretty tight and they were laying well at first. But the stretch in the thread wasn't enough to get em to where I wanted afterward. My practice wrap on a piece of scrap bare blank looked OK so I didn't change anything. This one will be a gift for my fishing sister. She'll love the double diamond look.

I certainly appreciate the feedback guys.

Posted by: steve schuster (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 11:28PM

Larry,

Consider investing in one of Billy V's thread packing tools.
The thing is a game changer in keeping those threads tight and clean.

Shoe

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2017 09:13PM

Sounds to me just a little too much tension.
the more threads you lay down the thicker the layers of threads are.
with heavy tention the thread you are trying to lay down is sinking, sliding down the side of the stack of threads, you try to move it back and it moves right back.
It took me a good while, think offence lineman big hands.
I solved the problem for good when I started using the bobbin holders I use for fly tying. Once adjusted for the right tension it never changes untill you readjust them
works great for me anyway solved all my proublems.

Curt

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 09:35AM

I've found on open wraps it's hardest to keep the outside wraps tight. My last wrap i added a few extra threads to the outside of the wrap in an easy to distinguish color. Once I got every thing packed in, I put CP on the wrap. Once the CP dried, I pulled up the outer "sacrificial" threads that were my aid to keeping things packed. Worked like a charm, but a little extra effort. I'm sure Billy might chime in and just tell me I need to learn to pack right!

Haven't done it yet, but I've read that closed wraps are easier to pack. Makes sense, because there's really nowhere for them to go. I am going to tackle my first closed one soon. I just gotta fork up the money for a shadepack or two from Billy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster