I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Fly Guides
Posted by: mark brown (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2017 09:27AM

I am sure this has been dealt with in the archives but I was hoping to get some feedback from more experienced builders before I place a mail order.
I live in Western Australia so I have to do quite a lot of "theoretical building" before I place mail orders and tweak out my guide spacings with what I have....

I thought I would try making a small stream fibreglass rod from a blank I picked up at a very reasonable price:

6'7" 3wgt 4 piece
9.38 mm butt
4/64th tip top (1.53 mm)

Minima Guides:
M10 Stripper
M8 Tamer
SV6 Reduction Guide
F5 Choke/Running Guides
MVT #4 Tip Top

With judicious knot tying I have gotten away with ceramic #6 F guides on my 10 wgt graphite rod so I reckon the #5 running guides will be okay

The #4 MVT tip top may be a bit small but it looks like it sits up off the blank a bit so I thought I would give it a try...I have a few spare #6 ceramic tiptops if needed

The M10 stripper might be a tad small but I used a ceramic M10 stripper on my 2 wgt graphite rod and it seems to work well although I have really only cast my own rods so I might not know any better!!!

This will be the first time I have used minima guides but it sounds like they are nice and light and should be durable enough

Any Thoughts?
Cheers
Mark in Perth
Western Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Fly Guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 10:17AM

Mark,
I don't think that it makes a lot of sense to have the tip top any smaller than the running guides.

The Minima guides will work well for the purpose you have in mind.

But, to each his own.

Posted by: mark brown (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2017 06:27PM

Thanks Roger

Those matching Minima tip tops only come in a 4 size

I was hoping to hear from people who have tried that tip top on smaller weight fly lines and get feedback on whether a M10 stripper would be big enough or should I consider a M12

Thanks Again
Mark

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 07:05PM

The 10 sripper should be fine for a 3wt line. I use them a lot.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2017 08:01PM

Are you designing this flyrod blank to be an ultralight spin rod? If yes, I would use a size M16 as the stripper followed by a M8 and a M5 as reduction guides and use either F5 or F4 as runners. The size 4 tiptop will be fine with either the size 4 or 5 runners. Theses would be set up using the Fuji KR GPS at Anglers Resource. If you really want to use a smaller stripper then use a M12, followed by a M7 and a M5 with the F runners of your choice. The SV guide is not needed.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster