I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizing using NGC
Posted by: Christopher Ruckert (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 10:06AM

I'm building a surf rod on a Lamiglas Super Surf with a 150 VS reel. I have been reading and asking about the NGC theory and have a good grip on the theory. The GPS software offers a choice of all the guides sizes and spacing using a specific guide to create the reduction train suggesting using on 3 or 4 of those available to .create the best setup. I can't find any guidance on the selection of belly guides or running guides other than using the smallest size possible. Without buying every KW guide available and in some cases multiples for the running guides, can someone offer some guidance to the ultimate selection of the size of the train guides, belly guides and running guides. I understand using a static test for the spacing and number of guides in the setup. However, choosing the sizes of the guides for the reduction train even after being given the size and spacing isn't bad enough, but "select the smallest guide that will work" or "whatever looks good" isn't very scientific. That may work after you have built a hundred rods, but for a newbie like me it only muddies the water even more

Thanks in advance

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing using NGC
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 10:55AM

Running guide size is dependent upon a number of different things. For example, the type of line and # test you are planning on using and whether or not you will be passing leader knots. If using braid you can use smaller guides (8 - 6), if using heavy mono (17# and up) may want to use a size larger running guide. The use of large leader to line knots may require a larger runner in order to pass it smoothly without catching to help prevent breakoffs. So the choice of runner size is up to you and the way you fish. That is one of the reasons you see a lack of info on running guide sizes. Basically, use the smallest guide that will get the job done. Many will use a size 8 when using braid and a size 10 when using mono or big leader knots. If you are planning on using leaders try using the FG knot, it has the smallest diameter of any knot you can use, yet is also the strongest. A hard combination to beat.
PS - with double ft KW guides belly guide terminology does not apply.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 11:00AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 02:34PM

I would go size 8 KW as running guides
I don't fish braid over 65lb usually 40 or 50 and leaders in 30lb range plus or minus 10

Norman
at what line/leader weight with which knots do you need typically a size 10 running guide?

Date: March 11, 2017 04:53PM

Bert- I never use a size 10 runner, but many do. If you are attaching a heavy mono shock leader to a Bimini twist, using a double uniknot, or any knot with a tag at each end of the knot, or a knot with the tag at the leading end of the knot, you might want to consider a larger runner. The nice thing about the FG knot is its smallest diameter is at the leading end of the knot, and the tag is at the rear of the knot so it passes smoothly through the guides when casting.
Norm

Posted by: Christopher Ruckert (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 08:43PM

Thank you Norman. I was thinking of starting with 25, 16 and 10 for the red train, then using 8 for the runners spaced no less than 4" and no more than 6" placed where the static guide takes me. Close?

Chris

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2017 09:25AM

Thank you Norman

Date: March 12, 2017 09:26AM

Sounds good. May be able to spread the spacing a little and use fewer guides, but that will depend on the static testing and overall flex in the rod. Important to test cast to make sure it casts smoothly.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster