I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

R/W/B EVA, Shred?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 06:21PM

Hello All.

I just tried to shred some 1/4" EVA into small bits for flocking in my food processor...Boy Was That STUPID? or what, does anyone know how to shred 1/4" EVA foam into little bits small enough to use as flocking?
It seams I DO NOT.

Any HELP will be accepted with great JOY.

Thanks Again and Again....

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: R/W/B EVA, Shred?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2017 06:39PM

It doesn't work well for flocking. Better to use the nylon/suede material which is fine enough for flocking.

Date: March 10, 2017 07:27PM

Hello Tom.

Thanks, I found the kits from Donjer, will call Monday, thanks again.

PS Reading V-7 / I-4 / pg.10.

I

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 07:31PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: March 10, 2017 07:35PM

I tried the EVA route before I devised the other method. I can tell you, EVA does not a good flocking material make!

Date: March 11, 2017 11:51AM

Hello Tom.

I have read the article in V-7 / I-4 / Pg. 10 three times and I wonder, I am trying to get kind of a red, white & blue camo look.
Can this be achieved with this procedure?
Or will I get to much of a blending?
Will the colors get muddied?

Thanks.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 12:17PM

I haven't had good luck mixing flock colors. I tried a few different ways and they always bled into each other. I do know that putting down one color and letting it dry then trying to put another color next to it did not work for me.
I hope you can do it. I think you are going to have to experiment and let us know how you make out.

Good luck and have fun.
Stan

Date: March 11, 2017 12:30PM

If you mix colors, you will get a blend. However, the flock only sticks where you have applied the adhesive, so you can always apply adhesive in whatever spots or pattern you desire, then spray on that color flocking. Then apply more adhesive where you want the next color, and spray the next color. So on and so forth.

Date: March 11, 2017 01:48PM

Hello Stan & Tom.

I guess it won't work then, because what I want is a Camo look.

Tell what I am doing; I bought a C4711XHF and a C2SW76MHF from RODgeeks both in Red top about 23", white middle about 23", blue bottom on the C47 about 48" and on the C2sw about 44", and from MudHole I got 2 MMRS-16USA(Old Glory Areo Reel Seats). As for guides I wanted to use Holo guides, I even got one set of the HHMW-SET at the ICRBE (Anybody got an extra set they don't need?), but I guess I can just use the HHRLA's.
Now what color scheme will go good with that?
I was thinking flocking R/W/B but that won't work,(colors mix) so now maybe all blue grips with the Aero seat or should I pull a Billy V. and Frankenstein some EVA together in a red, white & blue?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 02:19PM

Bob -
It can be done IF you don't mind doing "patches" of flock in different colors. Apply glue in a random pattern (thin to medium strips & put down first color & allow to tack up; apply random pattern of glue & allow to tack & apply second color. Do that as many times as you want. Painful, multistep process but it can be done with DANJER flocking.

Date: March 11, 2017 03:50PM

Hello Ken.

Yes it could be done, but on two sets of grips and the attention to detail needed it would take two to three weeks to do a scratch job, & I don't like scratch jobs.
I might as well get the guy from BOSLEY Hair Plugs to add them one fiber at a time.(can you say years?).
The major problem would be not getting glue on what you just put down or not getting enough coverage, no I think the flocking is made for solid or at least block coverage.
The kind of coverage I want would take for ever.

Right now it looks like the doctor is going to make an appearance and I have not given up on maybe getting another set of the HHMW Guides, but you never know.
I have lots of EVA, rubber cement and a scroll saw.

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 11, 2017 04:16PM

Ken echoed what I said above, and it really wouldn't be that hard, particularly if you had a pattern to go by. You should be able to do it in an hour or two.

Date: March 11, 2017 04:43PM

Hello Tom.

I'm working on a couple of things right now but don't be surprised to hear from me later this year.
I'm going to do the Frankenstein grips, then get the stuff for the flocking and come see you! (Yes I Will Call First).

Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2017 09:41AM

Robert
it may be a long shot
but I would call mudhole and see if their camo Eva supplier will do red white and blue
I also think there might be enough demand for it to become an item in their catalog
I'd buy some

Date: March 12, 2017 10:49AM

Hello Bert.

Pacific Bay used to get it from a company named "Versitex", and they no longer make it.
As far as I know they were the only ones to make it.
It is not even on their site any more.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster