I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Need Advice: setting micro-guides
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:35AM

I start the guide wrap and after a few turns I place the guide foot under the thread to hold it in place. Wrap about 1/2 way up the guide foot then gently pull the guide toward tip of rod to set it. After that wrap as usual. Have to do one at a time using this method, but it works great for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:36AM

I start the guide wrap and after a few turns I place the guide foot under the thread to hold it in place. Wrap about 1/2 way up the guide foot then gently pull the guide toward tip of rod to set it. After that wrap as usual. Have to do one at a time using this method, but it works great for me.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:58AM

Guide Tubing -- [www.mudhole.com]

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 01:28PM

Tiny surgical tube or dental bands. Fast and easy.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 01:52PM

I just completed my first build using the Fuji KR Concept micro guides. I too used the Flexcoat video and guide foot adhesive method with a couple of locking wraps. I struggled as I have "meaty" hands. Most times I would get them close but have to warm them up again for final placement. A small pair of needle nose pliers are your friend. The rod turned out well!

Rick

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 02:08PM

Guide foot adhesive for me. I see mentions above of the adhesive making it difficult to move guides later. I had the same problem until I discovered that a good sharp "flick" with a fingernail after wrapping will "pop" the adhesive loose under the foot and make the guide easily adjustable. Not so much hard as fast. The little impact "shock" pops it right off for final alignment.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 02:26PM

I've never used the guide adhesive...so that's great information, Jim. Good to know they are adjustable after the fact...as I'm not one of those guys who is talented enough to stick 'em in the correct position on the first shot!

Posted by: Anthony Goulet (---.sub-174-219-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 12, 2017 02:02PM

Jason Reddick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just did a microguide rod (American Tackle size
> 4's) and I used the guide tubing from Mudhole
> (4/64ths ID, catalog number = GT-0) - it worked
> perfectly, even on the skinny part of the rod at
> the tip. Just cut off narrow chunks with a razor
> blade, leaving enough room on the guide foot to
> wrap the guide down solid before cutting the
> tubing off. After getting that stuff, I found
> that wrapping the micros was actually easier than
> a full sized guide, it just didn't take very long
> and the lower profile of the foot made it easy to
> pack the thread as you wrapped.
Ditto on the tubing works great for even ice rod blanks the tubing helps to move the guides to fine tune the exact spot

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster