I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need Advice: setting micro-guides
Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:03PM

Ok, I just unpacked a shipment from mudhole for a new casting rod for my son. I'm holding a size 4.5 running guide in my hand and wondering: How in the world do you temporarily fasten these tiny things to the blank so you can wrap them!? In all the videos online that demonstrate guide wrapping, the guy is using a surf rod with guides that are gigantic by comparison and he just tapes it on near the "heel," wraps up to the tape and continues on after pulling the tape off. How do you guys hold these tiny things to the blank both for adjusting placement as well as wrapping?

Appreciate your thoughts here.
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Advice: setting micro-guides
Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-198.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:30PM

Mark

Great question. We covered this in a short video we produced a few years ago. In it we use our guide foot adhesive and secure them with a locking wrap. click the link below

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:41PM

One way is to use guide foot adhesive. You heat the guide foot, touch it to the adhesive stick, then quickly position the guide on the blank. The adhesive holds the guide it place for wrapping. Can be a pain to move the guide after it is wrapped so get really close to spot on the location and alignment before you wrap.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.115.230.21.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:44PM

I will also suggest the guide foot adhesive. It works substantially better than tape or anything else. As Donald noted, make sure it is exactly where you want it because once you have the wrap on it, it won't move.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:45PM

Mark,
You can use small strips of masking tape to hold guides in place till you figure out the guides final position.

Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 01:14PM

I prefer orthodontic bands for braces. Cheap, easy to cut off, holds the guide in place, lets you move the guide around easily.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 02:17PM

Does the foot adhesive have any cons?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 02:36PM

Jon

As already noted, it is a bit difficult to move the guide once wrapped. The other downside is if wrapping with silk without CP and if you get heavy handed with the adhesive, then some adhesive can ooze out from under the guide foot and not be so attractive. So, use no more than needed, align the guide as needed before wrapping and it's all good.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 03:14PM

I heat the foot slightly run it across a stick of hot glue and place it on the blank.
Thin layer is all you need.
mark position with china white marker and set then wrap.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:12PM

If you go with the orthodontic bands I've found that putting one on the opposite side of the foot helps hold the guide from slipping out from under the wraps =
So - one over the guide foot and one in front of the ring.

Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:15PM

Thanks! Especially to Flex Coat for the video explaining guide foot adhesive and the bonus locking wrap demo.
I love this forum!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:30PM

On a typical rod, I just use 1/8th inch wide masking tape. It is narrow enough and works well.

Don't use the low stick Blue painters masking tape. Not enough sticky for the small area to hold the guides effecitvely.

[www.google.com]

Be safe

Date: March 09, 2017 04:44PM

For me that low stick / easy release painters tape is a nightmare anywhere it's used to build a fishing rod. Adhering guides; as surface for decorative wraps = JUST DOESN'T work well at all

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:47PM

dental bands make it easy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:48PM

Ken,
But, I use the low stick easy release masking tape all of the time as a tack tape to tack off a rod or guide wrap before coating to be 100% sure that there is no dust on any part of the rod where finish will be applied.

It works very very well to remove the dust without leaving any residue behind.

Be safe

Date: March 09, 2017 05:02PM

Yes - it is good for that use because it is low tack and won't disturb wraps but not for anchoring anything.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 05:10PM

I'm with John T. Elastic dental bands do the trick for me. Then I do a temporary 10 or 12 thread wrap to hold the guides a little more securely to the rod blank - align the guides - start the final guide wrap and cut the temporary thread wrap and dental band off, and finish the final guide wrap.

Rog

Posted by: joseph arvay (107.77.83.---)
Date: March 10, 2017 03:33AM

Mark Hedl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How do you guys hold these tiny things to the blank both
> for adjusting placement as well as wrapping?
>
> Appreciate your thoughts here.
>
I don't hold them, the thread actually does when I slip the guide under because I start my wrap in front of the guide (about three turns) and proceed to wrap down the guide foot and onto the rod as the finish. Essentially, it's backward from normal guide wrapping and I like the little "bump" in front of any micro guides. Try it, you'll see what I mean, it's a cinch to do if you don't mind a few wraps in front of the little guide. Very fast, too.

Carefully epoxy the whole thread wrap and let it grab around the guide foot/stem and it's quite secure. If the foot wants to get floppy when you start to wrap, simply put a strip of tape at the end until you get enough wraps (4-5) to hold the little guy steady. It won't be in the way for quite a few turns as it's on the far end of where you're starting.

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 09:48AM

I just did a microguide rod (American Tackle size 4's) and I used the guide tubing from Mudhole (4/64ths ID, catalog number = GT-0) - it worked perfectly, even on the skinny part of the rod at the tip. Just cut off narrow chunks with a razor blade, leaving enough room on the guide foot to wrap the guide down solid before cutting the tubing off. After getting that stuff, I found that wrapping the micros was actually easier than a full sized guide, it just didn't take very long and the lower profile of the foot made it easy to pack the thread as you wrapped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 09:50AM by Jason Reddick.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:17AM

Mark,

An alternative to the dental bands...

I use elastic thread to hold on micro guides in place while static loading. It is available at "Wally World" or any fabric shop. That way if I need to add another guide, it is simply to tie another on without removing any of the other guides. Four or five wraps is all that is necessary to hold the guides. They slide easily when static loading. I then leave the elastic thread on when I start wrapping the guide and cut it off with a razor blade when it is no longer needed to hold the guide in place.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster