I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS measured inshore rod blanks, thoughts and comparisons. The
Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:30AM

Over the weekend I CCS measured some rod blanks that I have to build and also a factory rod.Here is the data.

Liberty P703 8-14lb Intrinsic power 285 grams Action angle 65
Seeker SP703 IP 240g AA 69
Inshore blem blank 10-17lb trim to 6'9"IP 630 AA 73
Inshore blem 10-20lb trim to 7'1" IP 1040g AA 70
High mod blem 7''9" IP 840g AA 65

Here is a rod that I have used for a long time that I need to replace the cork and fix the loose spinning seat.

Falcon 6'6" open hook special 8-12lb IP 415 AA 65

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS measured inshore rod blanks, thoughts and comparisons. The
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 06:10AM

The IP rods I've checked have been usually close to 65 degrees, rods described as "fast," usually are around 70-75. I'd say the 70 and 73 AA rods would be good for 1/2 oz (or even heavier) bass jigs. Maybe the 70 is a little too powerful, should be able to handle what to me would be "really big stuff," both fish and lures.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2017 10:44AM

The comparisons are easy to make with this data.

The most powerful is the Inshore blem 10-20lb trim to 7'1" IP 1040g AA 70

The fastest action is Inshore blem blank 10-17lb trim to 6'9"IP 630 AA 73

So on and so forth.

If you want to mimic the Falcon 6'6" open hook special 8-12lb IP 415 AA 65 then you'd want to find a blank that most closely matches the same specs, including length and weight.

Date: March 09, 2017 09:41PM

I should of said that I wanted to compare other CCS measures of the Liberty P703 just to vetify as well as compare other manufactures rods with same line rating. I have quickly realized that the line rating given by the manufacture doesn't say much when comparing actual power to another manufacture.

Is an Action Angle over 75 considered extra fast and what AA is considered a true moderate and sllow?

The Liberty P703 is labeled fast but at a AA of 65 that would be more mod fast which for a popping rod I prefer. I am hoping this rod will make a great speckled trout rod to use in open water. I am using the Airwave guide set to keep it light and durable.

I think the Inshore 6'9" will fill the bill that I wanted a rod faster and more power than my Falcon when targeting red drum in canals with jigs and spinnerbaits with a baitcaster.

I am thinking the 7'1" inshore will be good for pier jigging with spinning reel casting gotchas and 1 oz zig jigs .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2017 10:12PM

Well, that's like asking if an 80F temperature is considered "hot." That's purely subjective.

The CCS sought to rid the craft of subjective terms like "fast." You simply use the numbers to determine if one blank is faster or slower than another. In other words, AA doesn't translate to those terms - the AA are relative and comparative numbers.

So take measurements of your Falcon and use those for comparative purposes against the other blanks you have.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 10, 2017 09:29AM

Although I agree with Tom, it’s obvious that blank/rod’s actions will continue to be specified by fast, moderate or slow and it can be helpful to have a rough translation between AA and the subjective categorizations. These are the conversions based on my subjective opinion/perception:

<59 deg=slow; 50-63 deg=moderate; 63-66 deg=mod/fast; 66-70=fast; >70 X-fast

I also have a conversion from “cents” to the “power/lure weight range” categorization (light to heavy), also based on my opinion/perception, which may not be consistent with other sources.

The terminology for Power and/or Action is relative…much like “hot” or “cold”, so Power and AA measurements provide specificity, much like a scale or thermometer.

Date: March 11, 2017 12:30AM

Thanks you all for the info.

Now it's wishful thinking that all manufactures make use of CCS measuring. I did see that Pac Bay has them available for their Quickline blanks which is awesome.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 12, 2017 03:10PM

I failed to note that the above stated conversion is based on the RDA (or “Big Picture”) system of measuring AA (reel seat to rod tip), as opposed to the method defined in CCS (overall length). There is a marked difference in AA measurements between the two methods. I.E. A rod measured using the RDA will be 5 to 6 degrees less than if measured using the overall length of CCS.

FWIW, this is what I previously used (CCS) for the conversion of a blank/rod’s angle to the generic terminology:
<64 deg = slow; 64-68 deg = moderate; 68-71 deg = moderate/fast; 71-75 deg = fast; 75> deg = X-fast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 08:57AM by jim spooner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster