I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to go to learn?
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:11AM

Gents, I'd like to step up my game, but I can't figure out how to do some of the wraps I've seen. I've been practicing this week to mimic some of the things I like, but to no avail. Now I'm not looking for a tutorial from you, but where did you learn these techniques? Are there good books or videos? I can do basic inlays and bands, but would like to try a bit more. I'm not looking for super fancy, and don't want to invest the time I'm assuming some of these guide wraps take, I just want to be able to be a bit more creative than my current skill set allows for. Just a couple examples:

Starting right off with a trim band, into an inlay before wrapping with the main color. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Seamlessly switching between colors. Transitioning back and forth between two, presumably without cutting as you go back and forth. [www.rodbuilding.org]

I feel like I know what is supposed to happen, but it's more a matter of, what do I do with my fingers? How do I tension this thread while not letting this other thread slip? While wrapping with one color, the other is spiralling around the blank, is there a way to prevent that (so I don't have to waste time circling the spool back around? How do I go about switching spools back and forth in the tensioner? You get the idea,

Maybe I'm just not set up for it. I have the Alps wrapper with standard carrier. So I can't tension spools just the thread itself.

In any case, how do I learn, as this is not a hobby where I can go get hands on instruction. There's no community college course like there is for carpentry,,,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to go to learn?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2017 07:29AM

For Starters,

RodMaker Magazine

Dale Clemens Custom Thread Art

Billy Vivona Decorative Wraps

Flex Coat decorative wrapping brochures

Youtube is filled with videos of wrapping techniques.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 08:33AM

Thanks, Tom! Totally forgot about the magazine. I was supposed to fix my credit card from when my wife tried to get me the sub, but never got around to it. Ill try to remember to do that when I get paid next week.

I'd like to get Billy's book, but man its a lot. I have another book on butt wraps I got on MudHole I think. Not sure if I'm allowed to post his name or not. But it doesn't really talk about guide wraps, just deco wraps. And I have your book, which got me started.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 09:48AM

Randy,
In simple terms, you run your trim thread down the length of the blank and hold it down with tape, wrap your main wrap over it and stopping where you want to add trim color. Over wrap the trim color over the main wrap thread. When your done with the trim color, over wrap with main color wrap. Keep swapping threads, or wrapping both together till you get what you want than cut the trim thread off after over wrapping, or pulling under with a loop just as you would finish any wrap.
Hope I helped, get you started.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:08PM

If you want to tension the tread itself you have a couple of options = 1/ remove the pins that are on the thread carriage & replace with longer screws; put the thead spool on; drop on a washer then a 'beehive spring' another washer and back to back wing nuts (face the first 'wing' against the washer); 2/ find a couple of rare earth magnets with the same or slightly larger inside diameter & put one on either side of the thread spool. At that point you can bypass the on-board thread tensioner or run the thread through it at near zero compression.

As for where to go to learn - check out MudHole classes or check the NERBS web page for when they are having a gathering. Good group, lots of fun and tons of information exchanged freely on multiple topics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 04:09PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 01:37AM

have you tried you tube lots of video on there, some are good an some not so good , I think Mudhole an Flex coat are there [ some of the better ones] I think or go to there web site an see them all FREE

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 10:52AM

I don't think people are reading through the whole thread. Mudhole and flexcoat don't teach intricate decorative guide wraps. They teach the basics of rod building. I have that part down pat, as well as basic inlays and trim. I have made some pretty aesthetically pleasing guide wraps; I just want to have the skill set to increase their complexity.

This is why I said I want to step up my game. My game is good; it's time to get better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:10AM

While it's over for 2017, the Expo always features several seminars on all manner of decorative wrapping and weaving. The Volume 20-3 issue of RodMaker will have an article on weaving and making your own weaving jig. That issue mails June 1st.

Beyond all the suggestions here, you might seek out a local builder, if there are any near you, to give you a demo on the particular types of wraps you want to do. Most builders are pretty happy to share.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 10, 2017 11:26AM

Yeah. I wish I was able to join some of the expos and gatherings. But location is prohibitive. I'll just keep playing and maybe figure some stuff out. I think I'm gonna get some bobbins and see how that helps. Plus I'm gonna finally get my RB sub.

Date: March 10, 2017 11:41AM

Randy -
Way up at the top the suggestions were:

Dale Clemens' book Custom Thread Art - this was (as far as I know the first fairly comprehensive book on custom thread art)

Billy Vivona followed up with his pamphlet / soft cover book.

David Boyle produced Visual Wrap - a software / disc approach that allows you to do a step - by - step set up and change colors to develop a pattern.

Steve Paterson released a video /DVD that explains how to make your wraps even and tight (does not go into developing or outline for your own patterns)

ONCE you have the basics down (from either of the first two sources) you can experiment on your own to create patterns - 90% percent of them are no more than repetitive boxes with varying lay down of threads as explained in both book sources (the Plus one / Plus two etc.). Steve's DVD will improve the overall look - keeping all the intersections tight and straight. You will just have to invest the time on the basics of the pattern development and take if from there.

Date: March 10, 2017 12:01PM

Following up

"I feel like I know what is supposed to happen, but it's more a matter of, what do I do with my fingers? How do I tension this thread while not letting this other thread slip? While wrapping with one color, the other is spiraling around the blank, is there a way to prevent that (so I don't have to waste time circling the spool back around? How do I go about switching spools back and forth in the tensioner? You get the idea, "

Cut your insert / design thread from the spool; tape it to the blank; put down as many overwraps (main color) thread as you like but enough to hold the "trim" in place. Once "anchored" gently pull the design thread under the main wrap until hidden. Simultaneously wrap the main and design thread however long you want; over wrap the design thread with the main thread.

If you want to "fade" or increase the design (say from 1 > 3 or 3 >1) include the design threads at the beginning; tape the design threads in place & over wrap with main thread. Simply only the main color thread remains in the tensioner all the trims are cut from the spool and taped to the blank.

Here's another on-line source for "tips and tricks" [www.RodbuildingTutorials.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 12:03PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2017 09:13PM

Here in Cape May County NJ they have a Night Class at the VO-TECH twice a year, thats where i started

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster