I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a Rod
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2017 11:05PM

Quick question guys, have a Fenwick Elite Tech split grip that I love using for jerkbaits but the length and handle is just too long. I could easily cut off 4" from the butt end on the rod and put on a new butt grip, and this would eliminate the handle length issue. Do you think this would ruin the action. It's a fast action rod, figure it may slow it slightly but no issue with that. Figures I would get some opinions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a Rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 06:56AM

Sounds like you're not going to move the grip position on the rod, so as the rod is in the hand, for one-handed casting, bite detection, and fighting fish without engaging the butt, there will be no difference except for a little balance change. If you measure it for CCS numbers, they will change.

I suggest that 4" may be too much. Try about 1 1/2 first and see how you like it. If it's snagging on clothing that may do it. I took about 1 1/2 off a fast action spin rod and never noticed the difference, exc it didn't snag clothing any more.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2017 07:27AM

The action will technically become slower but you might not notice it, particularly if what you've got now isn't working for you. In other words, if you don't like it now, what do you have to loose?

Date: March 09, 2017 08:21AM

Exactly, if I don't like it after I do it, it just won't go in the boat. Wouldn't have gone before... I may remove the grip and seat. Depends. I can probably cut it off with my dremel

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 09:44AM

Why do you conclude that the rod is too long? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.sub-70-209-134.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2017 03:46PM

6'10 in length, and the handle is too long for my liking for jerkbaits. Like the action and rod itself, just wish it was 6'6-6'8 in length with a shorter handle. My cadence is tip down like a shorter rod

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 07:03PM

you can cut it off and try it if it doesn't work you can put it back with a dowel /piece of blank in the blank side and put back the cut off butt section just put a wrap on the blank if it is exposed just a bit of insurance from split out.
good luck finding your sweet spot with the rod

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: March 16, 2017 08:32PM

Just used the miter saw and was done in seconds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster