I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread epoxy
Posted by: Rick Elrod (184.63.184.---)
Date: March 08, 2017 07:52AM

I am finishing up my first build, a 6'9 casting rod with the KR concept guides. I applied the Pro Kote epoxy yesterday and am wondering if there is a need for a second coat. I wonder because I notice that one of my store bought rods of the same set up (Abu Villan) and size has a much "larger" build up of epoxy used from the factory. Thoughts please?

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread epoxy
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:07AM

As long as you have sufficient coverage for the threads and none are exposed why add the extra weight?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:12AM

Congratulations on your first build!

If you can neither see individual turns of thread nor feel turns of thread with a finger nail you are done, else apply another, thin coat of finish.

There is no virtue in a bulbous thread finish.

What flavor of ProKote are you using? General rule, with many exceptions, is the medium viscosity ProKote requires 2 applications while high build can cover with just one application. Again, many exceptions to the general rule.

Another general rule is the less and lighter stuff you put on a rod the better so as not to dampen sensitivity. Another coat of finish will add weight but the downside sensitivity loss could be minimal and trumped by aesthetics.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (184.63.184.---)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:35AM

I am using whatever came in the original Mudhole kit. Based on above comments I believe that I am done. (sans decal which was not sent with blank) I will post a pic this evening. Overall I am happy with first attempt.

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:48AM

Terrific. You have a few days (5) to apply another coat without sanding if you change your mind.

Take a look at the finished rods on this site, Google images of similar rods, inspect the finish on other factory rods at a retailer near you. It will help you get a feel for how much is enough.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 09:53AM

Please consider one exception to the above: I would not recommend using some factory rods as an indicator since many use excessive finish resulting in "footballs." Unless you like footballs, then fine. If you have footballs you have more finish than necessary for proper function.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 10:57AM

Actually, if you want to apply another coat of rod finish, you can apply a 2nd coat any time that you want, as long as the first coat is not tacky.

If it has been a very long time, say several years between coats, you might want to scuff up the current finish a bit with a scotch brite pad for better adhesion.

I have built many many rods over the years. I have applied finish from one thin coat to multiple coats. But now, when I build a rod, I generally only apply one + coat of finish.

I use the term one + coat of finish, because as the first coat is drying and if I find a thin spot, I will add a touch of heat to thin the finish on that guide and add a touch more to fill in that spot. The slight heat lets the additional finish flow and fill with the rest of the first coat.

By using this method, when I am doing production runs of 10-20 rods at a time, I only have one extended drying period before I ship the rods. Thus, when doing production, it can cut a day out of the ship schedule for a big run of rods.

Take care

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 09, 2017 09:10AM

Hi Roger

What is the max time you would use your "one +" technique on a drying rod? I see thin spots all the time but I never touch th m because I always thought it was best to let it set then apply another coat?

I like your method though.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:44PM

Chris,
10 minutes

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.190.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 08:54PM

Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster