I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jigging rod guide selection
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 07:40AM

I'm building a jigging rod from a RodGeeks composite 7'9". I am just looking on what a good guide would be. Most of my tackle is light and this will be the first heavy rod I've built. Probably going to Jig 2-3oz spoons and an occasional live fish. This will be a cast rod with a spiral wrap. My goal would be a very large rockfish or blue in the chesapeake bay. I will probably use braid all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jigging rod guide selection
Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 10:26AM

Which model Rod Geeks?

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 11:03AM

I fish the lower Chesapeake for Rock Cobia, and Bull Reds and I would recommend the American Tackle Virtus series. NIRLVH's or NIRLVL's Either will work, the LVL's are a tick lighter, but both will perform well with technique you described.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 11:50AM by Capt. Craig Freeman.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 02:37PM

Last year I built a Rod Geeks XC733 spiral wrapped to use with an Okuma 350 low profile level line baitcaster. I used an Alps XN 16 for the first guide then went to 2 MXN 10s for transitions to size 8mm runners and tip top. With a level line reel I had to offset the 16 to the opposite direction of the spiral so the reel can lay the line evenly. I can still use a reel without the level line with this setup. If you are using a bigger reel you may want to use a 20 for the first guide.I like these guides for the $ with 316 stainless steel as well as the American Tackle that Capt Craig recommends. I did see the new E finish from Fuji at the expo and it looks great . They said it is much more corrosion resistant than there polished stainless. That in MN frame with Alconite rings would do very well too once it hits the market.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 03:09PM

Hello John.

I'm with Capt. Craig on this one, I use the LVL's (Only Recommended for 20-60#) on Bottom Rods, like my Seeker GTS 60XH, 50-100#, (I know but I have brought in some real big fish using the L's) Wrapped in a simple spiral.
I guess the biggest fish I caught with it was about a 250# Thresher Shark, that's about 12' long IF you count that long tail.

So trust me the l's will be heavy enough for what you are doing.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:38PM

The rod blank is an SG79HM. When I was at the rod show, I ask if they had any of the composite rods, and this is what he showed me. Probably a misunderstanding, but it still should be a good rod. I will check out the LVL's, thanks a bunch.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2017 09:59PM

Yeah they are a composite ,mainly s glass with carbon in the butt to give power while saving weight. Very nice rod blanks. I am wanting to build some of the xh versions for big catfish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster