I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just discovered an easier way to prepare reel seats
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 12:23PM

Since as usual I couldn't find my rig for preparing the bore of reel seats for gluing, I noticed my (about 1/2 in diameter at the big end) Dream Reamer still on the drill/driver. With a 4 inch length of ScotchBright wrapped around the reamer it can be fed into the bore, the drill turned on, and it stays stuck to the reamer as the reamer rotates. Therefore quickly roughing up the bore in a few seconds.

I thought it might help others if they've not already discovered this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just discovered an easier way to prepare reel seats
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 01:20PM

Hello Michael.

Been there done that, I have also grabbed a wooden dowel and a dremel tool with a cutting wheel on it, cut a grove in the end, tore off a piece of scotch bright shoved it into the grove stuck the other end of the dowel into my drill and had at it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 05:15PM

Michael,
In all of the years of rod building, I will admit that I have never ever scuffed up a rod blank, nor have ever scuffed up the inside of a reel seat.

I will also say that I have never ever had a rod returned to me because the glue bond failed between the blank and the reel seat.

Take care

Date: March 07, 2017 05:42PM

Roger, never change a winning game.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 08:33PM

Depends on what you build for. I for one would do all i can t make certain that the seat will stay attached when fighting a 50lb striper or a 100 lb tuna. But thats the way i think.
When you build for bigger fish the loads are certainly different.
We had a walk on take an open spot a a charter a few years back and he had a seat break loose on a factory rod. Pretty sure they did not prep the surface. I had to steady the reel while he fought the fish.It was landed but it was a chore.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2017 11:00PM

Given that best practice (water break free surface) requires maybe an extra minute, it only makes sense to do it.

Date: March 08, 2017 07:46AM

A friend of mine recently had a high end maker fly rod grip come loose from the blank. I wonder if they prepared the blank surface, or was it simply insufficient epoxy?

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-134.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2017 10:21AM

That's a good idea Mick. I'm gonna use it. Thanks.

Date: March 08, 2017 12:31PM

Another thing that works well, if one can find it after setting it up, is to use a shotgun gun cleaning rod (one length, not the whole thing) with the patch holder end in your drill driver.. ScotchBrite fits into the patch slot very nicely.

that's what I couldn't find.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 09, 2017 12:32AM

Roger you just made my night. I first read about preparation of the blank/seat shortly after assembling the handle for a new rod I was building. It was a heavier rod, and used a metal reel seat. I became super worried about the bond breaking. I felt a little better after reading a comment from Tom, indicating it was likely the rod manufacturers never do this prep-work either. But it see,ed like speculation. It's good to hear from first hand experience.

That being said I do intend to scuff up all future builds!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 04:47PM

Randy,
I do not minimize my use of epoxy when gluing up the reel seat. I am always very generous to a fault when it comes to getting a complete layer of glue on the entire length of the glue area on the blank as well as the inside of the reel seat, before sliding it in place. I also generally work the reel seat up and down a bit as well as round and round a bit , to insure that I have not left any unglued areas of the reel seat to blank bond.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2017 11:06PM

Wait , your time is coming!!!It will happen someday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster