I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeker vs MHX
Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 06, 2017 10:08PM

[www.mudhole.com] MHX GFC84MH
[www.mudhole.com] Seeker S865H
[www.mudhole.com] Seeker S665

I have no idea what the difference is between the two seekers. Do you guys prefer one brand over the other and why? If I got the MHX, I'd probably trim 3" off. Intended use is with a baitrunner spinning reel, 30-40 lb line, free lining a live bait fish. Target species, yellowtail amberjack.

Goes along with my previous post about guides. This is what I've narrowed the blanks to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker vs MHX
Date: March 06, 2017 10:10PM

Oh and disclaimer, I did call mudhole so as to not bother you guys, but the dude straight up told me he didn't know anything about the Seekers. In his words, he would just be giving me the specks, which I can get from the site.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 12:48PM

Hello Randy.

The S865H is bigger in diameter in the butt, but still weighs less.
According to the details they are made of the same stuff so I suspect a thinner wall and a different taper, but I'm not sure I would have to have them in hand to be sure.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 07, 2017 06:24PM

And you'd be right. Called Mudhole and talked to one of their saltwater guys who picked up the two blanks. He said the 665 was much faster, with a much softer tip. He said if ongoing strictly for live baiting yellowtail, it would be the better option. But I ended up going with the 865H because he said it would still be good for that, but will allow the rod to be used for a couple other types of fishing as well.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2017 08:21AM

I think you will be pleased with the Seeker rod. You can call them and they are very helpful. I have 10 rods that I use for a variety of catfish applications built on Black Steel blanks and I really am impressed with the company.

Date: March 08, 2017 08:29AM

Thanks Don, it's always nice to have that peace of mind. I'm pretty excited about this build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster