I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double over wrap for unlimited class blank?
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2017 09:39PM

I am building an unlimited class 6' gator glass for shark fishing. I'll do an under wrap, but should I also double over wrap the guides? I'll be using size D thread for the over wraps. Will be hopefully catching very large sharks with it from the beach. Probably some big grouper from the bridges too. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double over wrap for unlimited class blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2017 09:41PM

I'd do it, just to be safe. That little extra weight and time involved is nothing against the type fishing the rod will be used for.

Date: March 05, 2017 10:07PM

Weight is no problem as the rod weighs a ton already, haha! Time is no problem either not in a hurry. Would A size thread under wrap be ok or should I use the D for that too? Thanks for the quick answer, Tom.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 05, 2017 11:19PM

I personally think A is fine for the underwrap. Face it...if you wear through A, your gonna wear through D. However, D will wrap much faster (if seconds matter).

I wouldn't object to using A for the double overwraps...or A with D on top. But that's just me.

Date: March 06, 2017 12:55AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

Date: March 06, 2017 07:27AM

You won't wear through the underwear unless the guide is moving around, which it shouldn't be doing. A is fine for the underwrap.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 08:35AM

I double wrap all my saltwater rods with D thread.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2017 10:13AM

Let's face it...nylon thread, of any size, is strong enough to hold on your guides. I suspect that a single layer of size A would hold your guides on...D thread would take a car to pull them off, but you'd have to anchor the rod to something as you wouldn't be able to hold on to it. You're talking about hundreds of pounds of force with just a single layer of thread. Double wraps are likely highly unnecessary these days, but we like to do it...and customers like to hear it was done.

Date: March 06, 2017 11:05AM

It's not so much about holding the guide, but adding some extra insurance against a guide wrap being chaffed through, guide knocked loose, etc. The heavier rods are often subject to a bit rougher handling than light rods are.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2017 12:55PM

I doubt with today's epoxy that you're going to get any chafe through. Back when sportfishing started, and for decades after, yes I would agree. I'm sure it can happen...I just don't know what a person has to do to make it happen...normal fishing wear notwithstanding.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 06, 2017 02:54PM

Hello Jon.

I usually do an "A" under wrap, epoxy, dry, then an "A" over wrap and finish with a "D" wrap, the "D" goes on easier with an "A" under it than another "D".

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 06, 2017 11:00PM

Normal fishing conditions will be out of the question with this rod. On the beach I guess it won't take such a beating, but on the bridges when we lock the drag is another story. It will be hitting the railing (concrete and metal) and anything else to rip the big girls up. If you give them an inch they will take a mile.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: March 06, 2017 11:44PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You won't wear through the underwear unless the
> guide is moving around, which it shouldn't be
> doing. A is fine for the underwrap.
>
> .............

If you wear through your underwear, you probably got a little too close to the mouth of one of those sharks you're fishing for! Ha ha ha ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 11:45PM by Randy Weakley.

Date: March 07, 2017 02:45PM

Hahahaha! Hopefully my underwear will stay clean and good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster