I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flexcoat concept reverse drill bits
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2017 04:15PM

I picked one up hoping it would save me time in reaming out some cork...

Tried it today and poof the handle is ruined. It was 1/4 inch holes and I had to pre ream it a small bit just to fit the drill bit in.. It was still a snug fit and there is no way I could have put any tape arbors on.

It was an 8 " rear grip.

Also the inside of the grip looked real ragged. And yes, I pulled it thru. Didn't even get half way before it was off center.

Anyone else have issue like this?

thoughts?

thanks

Ernie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 04:24PM by Ernie Johnson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flexcoat concept reverse drill bits
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2017 05:15PM

I have used them successfully many, many times. I have to suspect there was something about your technique. High drill speed coupled with a slow pull seems to work best. The only way I can see it becoming off-center is if you applied side pressure to either the grip or the drill, or both.

Date: March 04, 2017 05:48PM

I did not have it at the highest setting (rpm)..I did pull it slow and tried to keep it centered.

Maybe the higher speed would be the difference.

thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:07PM

Give it a try on a scrap piece of cork stock, if you have any. I think you'll find it will make a difference. Just be careful and wear heavy work gloves for holding the piece.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2017 06:15PM

Ernie,
A couple of pointers.
1. If the center of the grip - away from each end is ragged, no big deal. The rough inside of the grip , just means that you get more gluing area and a better long term adhesion of the grip.
2. To take care of the issue, I use tapered files - turning backward to get a perfectly smooth inside end on each end of the grip that is the perfect fit for the fit of the grip on the blank at the point of installation.
3. When doing all of this drilling, boring, or reaming I wear a pair of knit gloves. The reasons for this. The gloves keep my hands clean, but let he hold the grip more securely, but the gloves also let me slip the grip a bit as I am reaming or drilling.
p.s. I do not use leather or similar gloves when holding the grip. The reason that I use the knit gloves is that they protect my hands from the heat of the slipping grip, but still let me stop the grip when needed. If I use leather gloves, the leather grabs the grip too well and does not let me slip the grip for turning in a controlled fashion.
I buy shop gloves by the dozen from the local big box supply store - in either the brown cotton jersey version, or the white knit version. When the gloves get too dirty, I toss them and grab another pair. I think that I pay about $1 a pair for the goves.

[www.fleetfarm.com]
[www.fleetfarm.com]

4. So, whether, I am using the tapered file at each end of the grip, a long air craft extension bit drilling out the center of the grip, or a reverse pilot bit - I am holding the grip in my hand in the knit cloth glove hand. Then, as I am drilling or reaming, I let the grip slip and turn now and then. Generally a turn and a half or a partial turn or similar. By continuing to let the grip turn a bit in my hand as I am reaming and drilling, the hole in the grip will remain centered. If I do not let the grip turn a bit from time to time, the hole almost always ends up off center.
4. Also, when using the pilot drill bits - do NOT drill all of the way through from one end. Rather, drill a bit over 1/2 way through from each end.
5. If I am reaming or drilling for a grip that is going to fit on a blank that has an extreme taper, I will generally use two different aircraft extension bits. A larger size when drilling from the butt end of the grip and a smaller size when drilling from the tip side of the grip.
6. By the way, I use a variable speed drill for all of my reaming and drilling with either a 3/8th drill or a 1/2 inch drill - depending on the size of the drill bit shaft.
7. When drilling, I will often only be turning at 30-60 rpm. However, my finger is constantly on the trigger of the drill and will vary the speed as I see fit, up to and including the top speed of the drill. But generally, I do a large % of the drilling and reaming at a very slow drill speed.

But, I have found that the #1 key to keeping the hole centered in the grip is to let the grip slip from time to time.

By the way, whenever I am going to center drill a grip that I have n the lathe, I will always use the drill bit in a fixed position in the tail stock chuck and then spin the grip by holding the grip in the head stock of the lathe.
This technique always results in a perfectly centered hole on a round object.

A picture of the setup that I use when center drilling a grip by using the lathe:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 06:30PM by roger wilson.

Date: March 04, 2017 06:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give it a try on a scrap piece of cork stock, if
> you have any. I think you'll find it will make a
> difference. Just be careful and wear heavy work
> gloves for holding the piece.
>
> ............

Yup... made a huge difference and was clean.

thanks young man

Date: March 04, 2017 06:50PM

thanks Roger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster